1 DDU

"Don't. You. Dare!" I snapped at my daughter. My little girl, only 3 and a half years old, was staring at Candy near our cart for the longest. She gave me a puppy dog look with her almond-shaped brown eyes and reached out to grab a package, but I stopped her. I gently snatched the pack of jellies out of her hand and placed it back on the shelf.

My baby girl began screaming her lungs out and squirmed her feet in the cart with a tantrum. "Jiyun!" I leaned in forward so she could see me closer. "If you keep that behavior up, I'm going to call Appa." I threatened her. "He won't be happy about how you're acting." Her wailing worsened.

I sighed.

Originally, I came to the store to pick up some food items for the home, and a few other necessities. But because of my daughter's temper, I was going to have to cut our shopping trip short.

I pushed the cart towards the exit and went in line to pay for the things I had already had in my cart. A lot of the Korean people stared at Jiyun and me with disturbing glances, but I didn't care. I'd be out of their way soon.

I finished paying for my things and pushed the cart I no longer needed to the entrance for someone else to use it. Then I lifted her out of it and placed her on the ground next to me.

Jiyun started hopping up and down and stomping her tiny feet, in protest about her candy. "Let's go." I snatched her hand in mine and walked straight for home.

She tried pulling away, throwing herself on the ground and dragging her feet, the usual temper tantrum things. I wasn't going to give in.

"Appayo!" Jiyun hollered in mid crying. She was pretending that I was hurting her arm, as usual.

"Listen!" I raised my voice and kneeled to her height. "If you keep crying, you're going in timeout when we get home." I pointed at her and narrowed my eyes. I wasn't playing with her. "Wipe your tears, and act like a big girl."

Jiyun sucked up her tears and wiped them away. I reached for her hand again, and she took it. We both strolled towards our apartment building, the same one I've lived in since I moved to Korea.

We went inside, and after taking the elevator, Jiyun and I strolled over to our door, and I unlocked it, pressing the same code we've been using since we came. "Take off your shoes." I released Jiyun's hand and kicked off my sneakers.

Jiyun squatted and used her feet to take off her velcro sneakers, and ran off into the living room. I placed all the items I bought onto the table. The sound of rapid jumping started me, and so I strolled over to the second bedroom to check on my other child.

I opened the door and saw Joon and Bao, playing with toy cars, and I leaned against the door frame with my arms crossed. "Ahem." I cleared my throat. The two of them looked up at me. "Bao, it's getting late. You should go home. I'm sure your father is worried."

Bao and Joon groaned. "Don't give me attitude." I snapped. "Go on." Bao stood up and said goodbye to me with a bow before leaving.

"Did you finish your homework like I asked you to?" He shook his head with a frown. "Then go." I pointed behind me. Joon grabbed his school bag and strolled past me.

I walked back into the dining room and sighed, starting to take the things I bought out of the bag and put them away.

Joon plopped himself on the couch and began doing his homework. "Do you want some spaghetti for dinner, Joon?" I called out to him. He glanced up from his notebook towards the box of noodles I was holding. He nodded and went back to doing his homework.

"Wait.." I paused and looked around the living room. "Where's your sister?"

The sound of the toilet flushing made my heart sink. "Jiyun!" I shouted and bolted for their bathroom.