43 | Half-Town

"Oh, my god

"Oh, my god." The words are breathless as she turns walking towards the back of the car. I smiled, following her. There is a fence stopping a few feet away from the car, blocking us from falling off a cliff.

Many lights sparkling as we look over the city from afar. Looking over at Veronica, I watch as a smile hangs on her lips. Her eyes moved variously, taking in the view. The many smells of food, sounds of laughter and chatter of people and music that blares around the entire street from many canteens are all cut off as I look over at my girl.

"It's so beautiful." She whispers almost to herself. Not even close to beautiful as you il mio proiettile.

I never knew how Nathan knew about this place and I've never asked because he never was one to answer to someone, not even his twin brother. He was always the secretive type since kids, or just stubborn. Never shared much about himself or his feelings, and I get that. That life we had in Italy groomed us to become heartless motherfuckers.

"I knew you ate at the restaurant, but these burgers here at 'Half-Town' are to die for." She looks at me over her shoulder and my breath catches in my throat. This view is too fucking die for.

She's got a grin on her face. "I can eat a horse right now." I nod with a small chuckle. Turning on my bare feet walking towards the many canteens. Veronica is at my side with a childish look in her eyes and a grin on her face as she looks around us, admiring the many lights.

Looking over the sign over the small canteen, I smiled, remembering the first times Nathan had brought both Elena and I here. Elena was only two at the time, grinning exactly like Veronica at this moment. Pigtails swaying around as she skips towards this exact burger booth. She didn't want the many other foods; she only had eyes for burgers.

Jenny's Burger Joint.

A small family of three strands at the front of us before walking away with burgers in hand, big smiles on their faces.

"Grey!" The older woman that owns the booth smiles brightly at me. I'm surprised that she even remembers me. It's been years. "Jenny." I nod, greeting her.

"How's Nathan? What about Ella? I bet she's grown so much since then!" I chuckled at her sudden outburst of questions. Before I can answer, she looks over at Veronica at my side, who plays with her fingers when Jenny looks at her. "Who's this pretty one?" Jenny narrows her eyes, a smile on her face.

Surprise takes over Veronica when Jenny asks that question and she looks at me with a huge smile. "What?" I lean over, asking her softly, away from Jenny's earshot. "It's nice feeling normal for once." She whispers back before stepping up. "Hi, I'm Veronica." I smile at my girl as she makes convocation with the older woman.

After a few questions. I ask for the burgers, but I raise a brow when Jenny curses with a nervous laugh. "A few seconds late Grey, This old lady is out. That family before you guys took the last of it. There are only fries and soda left." My mouth almost drops and Veronica snorts at my side, throwing her head back, laughing.

"It's alright Jenny. We'd take a few packets of fries and two sodas." I nod in agreement, stuffing my hand into my pocket, but Jenny stops me. "Take as many fries and soda as you guys want. It's all on the house." Nodding, knowing she'd just flip me off and go on with the night like the first time I'd come here, I don't push my luck. I nod and turn to Veronica as we wait.

"A burger joint with no burgers." I grumble, crossing my arms over my chest. Veronica laughs, punching me playfully on the shoulder. "It's not that bad. I mean, we can buy corn soup, chicken and fries or even shish kabobs!" I nod with a smile. "Even in situations like these, you always seem to shine some light and point out the better things." I reach up, capturing her face in my hand. After a few seconds, I speak what has been on my mind for so long.

"I'd tell you everything I promised, but I just want you to know how sorry I am, Veronica. I really, really, am sorry." Her smile dimes only for a few seconds, but she nods, stepping up and wrapping her arms around me, burning her head in the crook of my neck.

I breathe her in just like she's doing to me. I hold her like she's holding me and I get lost in time because if I died this second, I'd have a smile on my face.

"I forgive you because I know you want to fix this, fix us, but the memories of what happened that day are still there and would forever be there." She lifts her head from my chest to look me in the eyes. I nod with a sigh. I'd fucked up that day and I was lucky for Veronica to even forgive me today.

"Alright love birds, here's the food." Veronica pulls away, turning to Jenny.

"It was nice meeting you, Veronica. Good seeing you again, Grey. Let Nathan know I asked for him and tell Ella Jenny asked for her." I laugh, nodding at her demands. Taking the bag filled with fries from Jenny whilst Veronica takes the sodas.

Veronica leads the way as I follow her back to the car. I reach into my pocket and unlock the car, but stop her when she goes to open the door. "Wait, follow me." An idea pops into my head. Walking past her, I pop the trunk and set the food down.

"Sit with me?" I fall back into the trunk of my range rover with a smile. She only nods before setting the sodas down and taking a seat. "Tell me everything. I'm listening." She says. I let out a soft sigh before turning to face her.

Have you guys checked out the second book to this series (Twisted Pasts Series| E L L A ) make sure to give it a vote and comment and share with friends<3

For my Trinidadian readers; Those that know the phrase 'The Cross' and where that place is located-- would understand. I based this chapter off on a few events that occurred while I was at The Cross a few years back.

 Hope you guys enjoyed as much as I loved writing this chapter!