Chapter 23

TW: bullying

I hope everyone is enjoying this book so far!

Stay safe 😊
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just like every other day, I woke up very early due to nightmares.

This time I decided to get ready and go downstairs.

"You're up early." Mr. Thompson, who was in the kitchen said, taking a sip of his coffee.

I smiled a little and nodded, sitting on one of the stools at the counter.

"Why?" He asked.

Because I can't go one night without my past haunting me.

"I usually wake up early." I said quietly, with a small smile.

"What time did you wake up?" He asked.

Even at 4:30 in the morning he had a business-y tone and a million questions.

"3:45." I said quietly, snapping the hair tie against my wrist.

"What time did you go to sleep?"

Why do you always ask so many questions?

Seriously, I don't think, in the whole 4 or 5 days that I've been here, we've had a normal conversation where he doesn't interrogate me.

Not that it really bothered me too much, but I wish he wouldn't ask such personal questions.

"I don't remember." I mumbled, looking into his icy blue eyes.

He turned his attention back to the papers in front of him that were scattered across the counter.

"Hunter told me he needed to put new staples in your hand." Mr. Thompson spoke monotonously after a few minutes of silence.

"Mhm." I hummed quietly, kicking my legs a little.

My feet weren't anywhere close to being on the ground, especially while I was sitting on this very high stool.

I didn't want to bother him, so I stayed quiet until he said he had to leave for work.

Once he left, I felt awkward sitting there alone, so I went back upstairs.

When I got to 'my' room, I saw Ace standing outside of the door.

"Hi." I said with a smile.

"Oh, hi." He said, turning around with a smile, "When did you get up?"

"Early." I said with a smile.

He pulled me into a hug, resting his head on top of mine with a sigh.

I felt arms wrap around me from behind, making me turn a little to see Charlie.

He had his head on my shoulder with a smile and closed eyes.

Soon, Noah, Daxton, and Hunter also joined the hug which made me smile.

For the first time in my life, I was starting to feel like I belonged somewhere.

It was a nice feeling, but at the same time, my paranoid self was telling me it was all just a show, and they were going to abandon me or hurt me at any moment.

After a few minutes of all of us standing in the hall, hugging, I heard someone clear their throat.

"Sorry to interrupt," Winston said with a small smile, "I would just like to remind all of you that your father is having a few people over tonight."