Chapter 2 - Graceland Meets Another Elvis

So... I did some research and found out that Austin was in Australia while filming halted because of COVID in 2020 instead of 2021. I changed that in the title, cover, synopsis and the previous chapter. Sorry! 

~ ~ ~

"How about you come back to Graceland with me, Mr. Butler? I wanna know more about this film. Plus, it's nice to meet a fellow actor. We can pick apart each other's brains."

It was difficult to notice anything else other than Elvis standing in front of me, leaning against that black car. After he released me from that hug, and I had to wipe my eyes of the tears, I still stared at him, shocked, bewildered, numbed...

"Elvis, we're not bring back a drunk man to the mansion," said the man who looked like Colonel Parker. "No offense, Mr. Butler, but you're just not right in the head at the moment."

"And Graceland is the perfect place to get over a hangover since Gertrude knows a killer wake-up concoction. Never tried it myself," he added to me, "but it's worked on some of my buddies staying at Graceland, includin' you, Colonel."

The man cleared his throat. "But you only just met the man."

"And I'll continue to get to know 'im. He's an actor playin' me in a movie."

"People say things to get close to you, Elvis."

Their argument was hardly heard in my ears since I was still staring at Elvis. He looked at me. "You really are an actor, right, Mr. Butler?"

"Yes, I am," I mumbled, eyeing every feature of his face. If he wasn't Elvis, what was I doing playing him? But it wasn't about looking like him. I already learned that.

"What do you say, Mr. Butler?" Elvis asked me. "You wanna take a small trip to Graceland, or do you have a previous engagement?"

"Um... I don't have any plans since I'm on a break from filmin' right now." And if this was real, it was a pretty amazing break.

"See?" Elvis said to the Colonel, then to me, "You wanna see Graceland from the inside?"

He assumed that I had already seen Graceland, which was true, but I had also seen it from the inside. That was right after I met Priscilla Presley. My heart jumped. If this was 1965, she would be a young woman of twenty!

"I would love to," I said and rubbed my head without knowing I did it. My head was still a bit achy, but not as bad as before I took the pills.

"Your head alright, Mr. Buter?" asked Elvis, concern in his eyes.

"It's better, thank you. Um... and it's okay to call me Austin."

He grinned, creating that iconic smile and those cheekbones. "Well, then, it's okay for you to call me Elvis. Now, you can hitch a ride in Jerry's car, and I'll meet ya in front of my house. See ya in ten."

He went inside his car, those men shut it, and they got in other doors. My mouth was open, still in awe with all this. I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"I wish I had a camera to capture your facial expressions," he remarked. "You could catch flies with your mouth hanging open like that."

"Yeah, um... that really just happened, right?"

He patted my shoulder. "Yes, it did, Austin. And I have to say, you're quite the lucky duck to be personally invited into Graceland by the King himself. People would give their right arm for that opportunity."

I was still stunned. "Really?"

"Yeah. And Elvis... he knows a good bird when he meets one, kind of like how a dog senses that a person is good. He sensed that on you. What a complement."