Chapter 6 - Impersonation vs. Emulation

Thanks again for all the views! And just a note, I couldn't find much about Patsy, just that she's Elvis's cousin and was around at Graceland and did things with Priscilla while Elvis was out shooting movies. She also was around quite often after Elvis's death and helped raise Lisa. I don't know if she was married by 1965 or what her husband's name was. We'll just go along with what I already have about her.

~ ~ ~

Ten o'clock rolled around, and I hoped that Elvis would want to forego me giving them a little performance.

But then I remembered that Elvis liked to stay up all hours. By the time that we all walked through the front door and saw the girls sitting in the living room, my nerves were tingling me all over the place, and my heart was racing. I really had no reason to complain for performing those numbers while shooting the movie since the real Elvis wasn't in the audience!

"Hey, darlin'!" Elvis greeted Priscilla, and she had her hair down out of the ponytail. They embraced, and he kissed the side of her head. They were so adorable, but... seeing them made my chest pinch for a couple of reasons—I missed Vanessa since we were lovey-dovey like that all the time, and... I wanted to be in Elvis's place, holding the young and gorgeous Priscilla Beaulieu to me.

Someone slapped my back, knocking some air out of me. "Hey, buddy you ready to sing something for us? Elvis said you were going to perform one of his songs."

I looked over at Jerry and scratched the back of my head. "Well... yeah, I guess, but..."

"Oh, c'mon, you'll do great. We all just wanna see how well you trained that voice of yours."

I still felt like my voice wasn't where I wanted it to be, even though we had filmed the '68 Comeback Special already and some scenes from the 70s. We also did the "Baby, Let's Play House" number for the Louisiana Hayride scene. That was the only number that I was actually singing, not my voice meshed with Elvis's so far. That and "Trouble" for the Russwood Park concert.

"You're going to sing one of Elvis's songs?" asked Patsy as she came up to me, excitement lighting her brown eyes. "Oh my goodness, I can't wait!" A man came up next to her, one with blonde hair and blue eyes. He was a pretty good-looking guy. "This is my husband David."

He put his hand out. "It's great to meet the guy who these girls yammered on about all day. The Elvis look-a-like." I took his hand and shook it. "David Geranen. It's a pleasure, Mr. Butler."

"The pleasure's all mine, David. Nice to meet you. And you can call me Austin."

His brows rose, and he looked at Patsy, then at me. "Wow, his voice really does sound like Elvis's. It's a bit lower, but I can hear the drawl."

A bit a pride shot through my system at hearing that my voice was lower than Elvis's. I didn't know why, but that made me feel better about myself.

"The girls told me that you trained your voice to sound like him," said David.

I loved that the girls talked about me. Well, it mainly made me happy that Priscilla talked about me. "Yeah, I had a voice coach. Or, I still have one."

"A voice coach to train your voice to sound like Elvis's? When the actual Elvis is around to help you out?"

Elvis wasn't around to help me out in 2020, and only a couple people knew that to be true. One of them joined the conversation—that man himself. He asked, "Well, he's here now, isn't he, Dave? Hey, Austin, a word with ya." He pulled me away from his friends and family, and we entered the kitchen. "So... what were you planning on singin'? And do you need a guitar? You said you play."