Chapter 5 - A Startling, Happy Epiphany

Okay, so this story sets the record for initial views more than any story I have done. Thank you all so much for taking interest in my work! You guys are amazing!!

And I'm sorry for the delay in posting. I had a hard time getting this chapter out. Writer's block is a beast.

~ ~ ~

My eyes popped open, and I instantly saw a window draped over with white curtains. Sunlight was coming though. My heart immediately started racing as I sat up in bed. I looked around the room in slight alarm, then it all came back to me.

1965. It was still 1965. I didn't go home. Thank the Lord.

Loud knocking jolted my heart. Someone opened the door. It was Jerry. It took a moment to register that he was standing there. "Hey, good mornin'," he greeted me.

"Good mornin'." I ran a hand down my face, attempting to wake up. "What time is it?"

"It's six o-clock. You have an hour to get ready and eat some breakfast. It's gonna be a busy day. Oh, and welcome to the Memphis Mafia. No one has gotten into the Mafia that fast. Elvis must really like ya. Anyway, get ready."

He left out the door, and I sat there for a moment to take this in. I had a good feeling I wouldn't leave, and I didn't. I was still in 1965, and in moments, I would meet Elvis again, and... what was the plan? I would come along and be a member of the Mafia as Elvis goes to interviews and such?

I got out of bed, showered, changed into the same outfit that I wore when I met Elvis. I liked the black. It was my favorite color.

Out in the hallway, I could already hear people talking from the main part of the house. I could especially hear the voice that I painstakingly tried to match. My heart going faster, I got closer to the door leading to the main entry.

"This is so insane..." I muttered and went through the door. I instantly smelled eggs and sausage. That sent my stomach into a rumbling frensy. It was in that moment that someone came into view in the entryway. I stopped and stared, again, trying to believe that he was standing there and I wasn't staring at a picture. He smiled.

"Hey, good mornin', Austin!" he exclaimed and came up to me, and he was in black slacks, black suit coat and a powder-pink collar shirt underneath. There was his favorite color, along with mine. We looked pretty similar in what we wore, minus the shirt color.

"Good mornin'," I said back. "Yeah, wow, this is still happening."

"You bet it is. Eat some breakfast and we're outta here." My stomach growled loudly, and I grimaced slightly. Elvis laughed. "I think you better be quick about it, or else your stomach will start eatin' ya from the inside."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

We went out more into the entry, and I immediately saw everyone at the table. My gaze instantly landed on Priscilla, and she had her hair up in a ponytail, and that caused her whole face to be visible. She looked over at me and smiled.

Oh my God, she's so freaking beautiful.

"Good morning, Austin," she greeted me.

"Yes, good morning," I said and sat in a chair across from her at the table. Patsy was on her right, and the rest of the gang was at the table, and they all greeted me.

"Sleep well, Austin?" asked Patsy.

"Yes, I did, thank you," I said as I served myself up some scrambled eggs after Jerry offered them to me—he was on my left while Elvis was at the head of the table on my right. What an honor it was to sit next to him again.