Prologue

— VEGAS.

"...and that is all for— ouch! Venice!!!" I yelled looking at the helpless child Pete adopted, he was looking stupidly while throwing his block toys at me while I was practicing my speech for the meeting later. I am a family head for fuck's sake, why am I sitting this child? I massaged my temples and continued my memorizing... until another block met my right cheek. "I swear to God, Venice, if you don't stop I'll throw you out of the window!" I threw my empty threat at him.

He knew what he was doing, he was deliberately annoying me. He knew if he cried, Pete would immediately take his side. This demon. I rolled my eyes and did my best to focus on my speech. Until again, another bigger block hit my head.

"Fucking shit, Venice!!! What do you want?!" I looked at him.

He blinked once.

Twice.

Thrice.

"What the hell is your problem? Stop looking at me like that, you look really ugly." I commented.

Macau peeked through my room, "Hia, language." He warned after getting in and sitting on the floor with the demon child.

I took a deep breath, "I have to do this perfectly, can you watch over this child for a while?"

He shrugged and nodded. It was more than a pleasure looking after Venice for them, but not for me. I took care of Macau when he could perfectly move on his own! I closed my eyes and went back to focusing.

I was walking back and forth, feeling nervous for the meeting later. It's my first time handling business with our illegally legal partners. I sighed, I needed Pete but he had an errand for the main family. He stopped working for them to work for me, but ended up falling back under my orders that are still under them. I helplessly dialed his number.

[Is there anything wrong with Venice?] He asked.

"Is he the only person you care for?" I grumbled.

I heard him giggle, [You're old enough to care for yourself. Are you okay?] He still asked anyway.

"I'm.. uh.. nervous." I admitted.

I heard him talking to other people, giving orders, receiving orders. I heard him move something down, placing the phone someplace first.

"Pete? Oh... I'll call again later, take care." I ended the call with an ugly expression. Fine! He should focus on his job instead! I rolled my eyes and threw my phone on the bed.

I was so occupied with the speech that I forgot to bring my phone when I left the house. The whole drive from the mansion to the company was really nerve-wracking. I was still studying some of the details of the product and offers from the other business partners when the car stopped in front of the company building. I didn't even notice.

I need something to get this off my mind for a while. I need something to give me good luck. I immediately thought of Pete, but when I reached for my phone, I finally noticed I wasn't bringing it. Why does this day keeps giving me signs it won't go well? I brushed it off and walked in the company.

I saw Porsche at the hallway and he greeted me with a tired smile, "It's your first day, right? Good luck!" He said.

I mentally thanked God that someone finally bade me good luck. I was hoping to hear it from Pete, but I'll take what I can get.

I smiled, "Thanks. Kinn in yet?" I asked.

He nodded and grinned at me, "Don't worry, he's in a good mood. I made sure of it."