Special Chapter 1

VEGAS.

It was an extra sunny Sunday, the breeze wasn't as hot as yesterday, but the sun was higher. No matter how the sun illuminated it's heat and light; it still couldn't take the dark tension between our family down.

"Dad, Pa, please." Venice pleading was something Pete and I couldn't stand, but this? No. I didn't want him to do it.

I locked gazes with Pete, his eyes told me he wasn't comfortable with the idea. He seemed quiet and weak, like he didn't have a right to be part of this conversation, or at least, Venice was making him feel like he didn't. Pete was begging me to make a decision, even he was having a hard time talking to our son now.

I released a deep breath, "I don't understand, buddy. Why do you want to meet her?" I asked. I just don't know how he suddenly wanted to meet his biological mother. Were we lacking in something? Did he think of wanting to live with her instead? I don't know.

Venice hesitated, like he didn't have a solid reason to meet his biological mother who abandoned him out in the chaotic world because his biological father died. She's a coward, she ran away from him and left him unguarded, unprotected, and unwanted. I don't understand why he still wants to meet her after so many years. I raised my brows hearing no answer from him.

He sighed. Oh fuck, this'll be a long one. I thought. Pete was sitting in front of Venice, and I was in between them facing the door. My hands instantly looked for Pete's the moment he sighed, I knew this was going to be hard for Pete. I squeezed his hand assuring him I'll keep our family safe and well, he gave me a small, sweet smile filled with gratitude and love.

I looked at my son, he was afraid to say what's on his mind. I know exactly how that feels, and I don't want my son to feel that way. With my other hand, I catched his that were fidgeting everywhere. His eyes met mine, and it softened under my protective and comforting gaze, it was the same as he found when he was younger. I wanted to give him strength to say whatever's in his mind, but if he was going to keep on making Pete feel powerless in this conversation, I don't think I'll still entertain his idea.

"It's nothing, really, Pa." He convinced. "It's just that I read from somewhere that there are families who were broken but was fixed over time. I mean, I'm old enough to understand where she came from when she left, maybe it'll be nicer to have another relative in the house." He explained.

I narrowed my eyes, feeling Pete's grip tightening, he was afraid. I squeezed his hand affectionately and continued the discussion.

"What do you mean, Venice? So all of this is because you want another relative in the house?" I carefully asked, trying not to make him feel like his idea was stupid or unworthy of our attention.

He immediately disagreed, "No! That's not what I meant... I just, uhm... really want to meet my mother." His voice was getting smaller and smaller with every word.

Pete reached out to Venice's hand and held it tight, he smiled at our son and nodded. "It's alright with me, darling. No matter what happened in the past, she's still your mother. She deserves a second chance in your life, right?"

Venice's eyes shined and smiled at his Dad. I mentally rolled my eyes, this kid, I fear he'll literally take me and Pete down. He was our only weakness. I sighed and the two of them looked at me.

I nodded. "I respect your feelings, buddy." It wasn't something I do often, Pete's expression softened from my words. Venice looked happy. "But I really don't understand why. Are you sure you weren't just influenced by your classmates? Are you sure there's no problem with you having two dads? I'm sorry, bud, but this is all too sudden for me." I massaged the bridge of my nose. "Not to burst your bubble or something, but I knew your mother personally, and I didn't like her. I mean, I normally don't like people, but it's different with her. Even your Dad didn't like her. She's... not your typical mother who cares for children." I tried to put it in a way that my son wouldn't be insulted.