Chapter 6

VEGAS.

"What are your orders, Khun Vegas?" One of my men asked.

I mandated the target outcome of our mission, I instructed them in all accordance to Kinn. I ensured that everyone knew what to do before I sent them out.

Everything went smoothly. All until I locked eyes with the person with the bounty.

His eyes were shaking in desperation, he gripped the hem of my shirt and begged me to let him go. "Please... Please, Khun! I have an unborn child... Please..." He pleaded.

My men laughed and I frowned.

I hesitated.

My eyes saw myself through him, would I ever act like him when things come to an end like this? Would I get on my knees, begging for my life? For my child... For Venice?

I tightened my grip on the gun and pointed at his head.

"My child... At least, let me see him until he's born! That's all I ask of you.." He tried to negotiate.

My name went around the small space we cornered him to, my men were starting to doubt my intentions.

Memories with Venice flashed through my mind, his birthday party at Daycare, his party at the main family mansion, his first word, and his toothy grin. All the efforts I had for him, and this man wouldn't even be able to have at least one glance at his child.

His hand traveled to the pockets behind him and suddenly, someone from behind me pulled the trigger. He fell down, eyes still locked with mine. A tear fell from his eye, whispering inaudibly.

I growled at the man who shot him, but I unexpectedly met Kinn's. My mouth parted and I looked back down at the man who's eyes were still open yet already lifeless. I unconsciously kneeled down to see what he reached for in his pocket.

My eyes dropped at the sight.

It was a photograph of his wife in the hospital, pregnant, him on the side, carrying a proud and happy smile. Behind it, was their address and the name of his wife. I suddenly remembered the first picture Pete asked me to take, it was ours. On Christmas day, he badly wanted a family picture, so Macau, Venice, and I had no choice but to comply. In that picture, Pete was standing in the middle, carrying a very sleepy Venice, Macau and I on each side. Only he had a wide happy smile, Macau was casual, but his eyes were twinkling in delight. I had a very stern yet contented look, it was my most treasured item. I kept it very safe and always with me.

I continued to daydream about my own family and didn't notice Kinn ordering all my men to leave us alone.

"You hesitated."

I sighed. "He has a family."

I sat down on the ground and leaned on the wall. I placed my arm on one knee while the other straightened to relax. I analyzed Kinn's reactions, any emotion present on his face. Yet, there was nothing.

"It's unlikely of you to even care." He stated.

I threw him a glare, "Quit the bullshit, Anakinn."

This time, he returned the same frown I wore on my face since he started talking to me. "Stop this nonsense, Vegas. Don't tell me you started caring about other people now? Even Pete wouldn't hesitate to shoot the shot. What's wrong with you?" He spat.

Well, maybe because I have everything he has and I'm actually scared to lose it. I have a child with me, I have a family, and this job I have will constantly bring them danger. I'm afraid, maybe because I do care, but I don't care about them, I care about my own family. Maybe I'm hesitant because I see myself, it's like I'm pointing a gun at my head. Maybe I'm hesitant because I'm scared I'll ever reach a point where I'll never be able to see Pete's happy smile, Macau's masked gaiety, even Venice's stupid looking grin. Maybe, for once, I'm actually scared for myself. I don't want to lose them, ever.