Chapter 25: Mission

The atmosphere was cold and I could see my breath float in the night air. We stood in formation as the instructor hissed at us.
"All of you better do this mission well.. I swear if you don't-" he stopped and signalled for us to get into our planes.
I put the mask over my face and smiled at Rooster from the glass of the plane. It had been ages since I told him I was pregnant and this was my last mission until I wasn't allowed to fly.

I flew even more carefully than usual and constantly asking Phoenix if it was safe, I'm pretty sure she was sick of my bullshit but it was necessary.

In the changing rooms I stood looking inside my locker, trying to find my keys.
"I hope her baby died on the mission," Rosa whispered to her cronies. I immediately shut my locker and walked out of the changing room, I know she doesn't exactly like me but that was too far. I decided with everything going on I'd go to the shops and buy something for myself for once. The day hadn't really gone to plan because Rooster had been called out for an emergency mission so he couldn't be here but obviously that wasn't his fault. Then Rosa being pathetic kind of hurt me But for someone like me I'm lucky anyone actually needs me.

I pushed open the shop door and walked through the candy aisle, I picked up some skittles and strolled towards the counter.
"Hello Mrs Bradshaw!" He scanned the skittles
"Hey"
"I've heard your husband is working hard in the air force right?"
"Yeah and I have"
"Huh? A woman in the air force? What has the world come to." The shopkeeper joked
"Actually there is loads of women in the air force and frankly I think you need to grow the fuck up!" I picked up the candy and stormed out. I knew he was old-fashioned but that old? Damn.

Back at home I layed on the couch and waited for Rooster. Suddenly my phone rang.
"Hello?" I said with the phone balanced on my shoulder
"Hi! Amy? Have you seen the news? I watched the American news today.. but your husband is in it and it's not good!" Joseph answered, I hung up the phone and grabbed the remote. It turns out Rooster and his squadron had crashed and were currently in a hospital in France, when I tell you a shock went through my body I mean it and it felt like an actual taser.