VIII

Coming out from that meeting, Ben and Jonathan were a little confused. Nothing about the marriage was mentioned. His majesty didn't seem to acknowledge any particular aspect of his bride to be.
Neither there was any mention about his next birthday, he would turn twenty and usually if it was considered for a bigger celebration, like his twelveth or sixteen birthdays, the party's preparations would start many months in advance.

Reflecting on it, Jonathan's mother Justine, vaguely indicated his wedding may be sooner, but never clarified. If for some reason the whole thing was to be rushed as soon as years before the agreed date, they should have mentioned it. So as coming back he rushed to his desk while Ben followed him concerned but in complete dark of what he went after.

"I have to see her last letter again, maybe there's a clue"

"A clue?" Ben asked.

So Jonathan was able to find the last letter and both sat down to carefully read it when the door was knocked.

"Yes, Jacob?" Jonathan said anxious.

The butler came in and said.

"Sir, your mother will expect you join her for lunch today"

The boys looked at each other, since it was not unusual for her to make this type of requests, but neither it happened often.

"Very well, but Ben is coming with me"

The butler agreed and left quietly, there was nothing unexpected about it, since Ben acted as his secretary, in a way it was normal for them to be always together and Justine always enjoyed the boy's company in the family, like Stella he was a kind soul that balanced their family gatherings full of tension among the members. But sadly, the tension was only when Jonathan was there, whenever it was just the mother and daughters together, they seem peaceful and Justine always felt at ease with her daughters around. Especially now that Bella was going to be married, they had lots to talk about.

Her future husband Greg was a carefree thin and tall man, who could talk about anything and was always able to get along with Jonathan, even when he was young. Jonathan actually liked him, and Greg never felt there was anything wrong with Jonathan, he was always kind and unimpressed about whatever scandal or rush of emotions took him over. He even wiped his tears at times when he was young, not that he was the one to cheer up a child, but if he was there, he would gladly help Bella or the family if he could. They also shared a passion for the horses and went for rides more than once. Bella loved how it was all so natural for him, he was a simple man with strong beliefs and an amazing composure. Even so, the fact they were engaged and a date was certain for the coming wedding, Jonathan could not help to feel worried and jealous, simply troubled by the whole situation. He knew Bella would marry Greg eventually, but the certainty scared him.

On the other hand Katrina's husband was never able to find the right way to approach him. Jonathan even now insisted in saying to his oldest sister "He hates me, he never liked me and he does everything to steal you away from me". Truly he did not hate him of course, he just found hard to understand him, he found Jonathan too intense and demanding, and he felt more comfortable around well behaved people and nice manners even if it was all a pretence.

Jonathan felt he was the last member of the household, but seen from outside it looked as if everyone was jumping and dancing around whatever Jonathan decided to torment the family with, and that is what Rody, Katrina's husband saw and perceived.

As coming into the room for lunch, filled with curiosity nothing seemed out of the ordinary, Bella was not there but Greg was, also Katrina and her husband, even Chris was there smiling and talking with Justine as if they didn't want to be overheard. Lunch went on as normal, there was nothing too extraordinary about the topics of conversation and Justine did not look in any strange mood, just simply very solicitous of Stella as usual. The whole thing confused Jonathan and Ben as they both were waiting for something to happen. They were sat or walking about the room having coffee and sweets when the mother asked to Benjamin.

"Have you wrote to the bride already?"

"Not yet, but I have her last letter right here" He responded fast and alert and pulled the letter out of his jacket.

They wrote each other regularly however Jonathan hardly wrote those letters and even if he did, Ben would rewrite them before sending them. As if didn't matter she said...

"Well, that's alright, just let me know when you have, because I will be writing to the parents and I want that to arrive at a later time than my son's response"

Having said that she retired to a small private room for some rest, leaving the rest of the family to enjoy their coffee. As she shut her door, on the main entrance of the rooms the noisy Bella and the twins appeared and joined them. Bella seemed a bit surprised to find Jonathan there and he seemed more confused to notice that.

"What is going on here?" Ben carefully whispered to him.

"I have no idea" Jonathan responded and added "We should leave".

And they did. Christian followed them and putting one hand on each one of their shoulders putting his head between theirs.

"What are you two up to? You looked very suspicious since you came" he said.

And the three men walked away towards Jonathan's rooms where they would be locked up for the rest of the afternoon. It was so beautiful and sunny outside, but they missed the whole day and were up for an even quieter night.