Confrontation

Chapter is up!

Gwen's POV

Well, this is awkward. 

After leading me away from the others, Batman and Black Canary took me to the medical ward to have me checked out. And by checked out, I mean have me sit on a bed while they look for anything wrong with me, and only finding some mildly painful bruises and scratches. I had told them I heal quickly, but they insisted they check to make sure. 

I quell the childish urge to smirk behind the mask. 

Definitely not smirking now though. Why, you ask? Because Black Canary and Batman are both sitting down opposite me and appear to want to have 'the talk' with me. 

No, not the gross talk that makes you want to cringe and run away from occasionally vivid imagery you didn't want to think of. Though, I do find myself wanting to cringe and run away. 

No. This talk involves my aunt, who I haven't seen in years, apparently being Black Canary. 

The minute they finished their checkup, they dropped the bomb on me. 

I mean, seriously?! I haven't seen my mom's sister since I was six, how was I supposed to remember what she looked like? At least now I know why I hardly ever saw her; she was busy running around playing dress up with the League. 

Though now I kinda wish I never found out, she's giving me the disappointed mother stare. Ugh. Just as painful as it was in my last life. 

Not having the patience for this, I sigh. 

"Look, this has been...enlightening, all ten seconds of it, but I don't need to hear you go into a rant about my 'dangerous activities.' Besides, wouldn't that be a bit hypocritical, Black Canary? No, fact is, this was my decision, and you haven't exactly been present in my life enough to refute it. I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, but it's my choice. I am Spider Woman, nothing you do or say will change that."

They both look surprised by my little speech, but by the end of it, Black Canary is smiling sadly. 

"You're just like your mom, you know. She was always so stubborn and sharp tongued, too. But I'm not going to try to stop you from being a hero, Gwen. You're amazing at what you do, and you haven't even had formal training. I wanted to talk to you to say I'm sorry; you're right, I haven't been there for you, and I should have been." 

She reaches over and sets a hand on my gloved one. "I want to be here for you now, if you'll let me."

Damn. Straight to the heartstrings, how the hell am I supposed to say no to that? 

"Whatever," I huff. "Way to guilt trip me," I grumble, to her amusement. "Also," she adds, "we have something else to discuss with you."

"What now," I ask resignedly. "You gonna ask me to join the sidekick squad?"

I get my answer when the two Leaguers make eye contact. 

"Ugh," I groan. "Now you guys too? Even Batman?? You guys don't even need me, three's already a crowd, you add me and you have six! Six teenagers making up a team, why do you think that's a good idea? And it's mostly boys, I'd drown in testosterone."

Black Canary covers up her giggle (poorly, might I add,) and Batman picks up the conversation.

"You're extremely skilled, and we have found you to be trustworthy," Batman replies tonelessly. I'm pretty sure he was complementing me, but he acts so emotionless when he wears the mask I can't tell. "You would add a unique skillset to the mix if you joined, and they could use another front-line fighter. In addition, if you were to join, you would have somewhere to train in a safe environment and with others who could match you in strength."