15 - constant

(image does not belong to me. credit belongs to its respective owner)

ITALY

The only thing I remember vividly, to the point I can't breathe, is when we first came here. Even while everyone was trying to think of a way to escape, I did nothing to help... I had to be protected like an idiot... Meanwhile, everyone else was getting hurt. And I was all alone. One after the other, they lost their lives right before my eyes.

In front of Italy was Japan, leaning against the piano. His white uniform was stained heavily with crimson.

Japan coughed out a faint chuckle. "Huhu... I'm sorry. It looks like this is the end for me."

"D-don't say that! Wait just a minute! I'll make bandages out of this flag and stop the bleeding!"

"No... no, it's hopeless." Japan waved him off. "There is no time. Please, just leave me here and go to the others. Fortunately, they've forgotten... that I came here." Japan winced and clutched at his bleeding side. He raised his head up and met Italy's wild, teary eyes. "Please, leave me..."

"Of course I can't do that! Just- I'll make bandages right now! Please!"

Japan sighed. "Italy." He used no honorific for once.

Italy froze. "Wh-what?"

"You don't have your whit flag anymore, do you? You have already used all of it to make bandages for everyone else." Japan smiled painfully, his expression understanding.

Italy recoiled as if Japan had just struck him. "No- I-I do! L-look!" He hiccuped, trying to fish for more cloth in his uniform. There was none to be found. "I just made it! I'll help you right now!"

Japan closed his eyes.

"No... No, Japan! I'll do anything! I'll do anything! Just hold on a little longer!" He collapsed in front of his friend, sobbing.

"Italy-kun(1)," Japan forced his heavy lids open again. "You are very kind. But even though my eyes are dulled, I know that you are lying." A painful breath. "It is so... frustrating. Till the end, I wanted us to get... out... together..."

Japan's eyes fluttered closed for the last time. He stopped breathing.

And then... And then...

"Sorry, aru. This is where I fall," China wheezed, leaning back against the wall and sliding down to the floor to sit beside Russia.

"I'm glad we could make...a new breach at least," Russia murmured, looking down as his hands hovering over his wounded abdomen.

Russia, China, and France were all sat on the floor, propped up against the wall, a mixture of their blood splattered on the white wall behind them. They were all mortally wounded.

"Come now, Italy," France smiled despite the several broken ribs he sustained that caused serious internal damage. "Don't cry; just go. If you stay here, that monster is going to show up again."

"But..."

France turned to the figure beside Italy. "Prussia, will you take care of Italy? He's fast on his feet, but it's hard to fight that monster."

Prussia nodded solemnly, the expression starkly unusual for the usually easygoing albino. "I know. I'll do it, France."

A smile tugged at the Frenchman's lips as he relaxed against the wall and shut his eyes. Then his face slowly went slack.

"Big brother France?" Italy choked out.

"Quickly," Russia said, abruptly urgent. "Don't let our efforts be in vain. Really, you're so slow on the uptake."