1 - not again

(image does not belong to me. credit belongs to its respective owner.)

CHAPTER 1

You sat with your knees pressed up against your chest. You allowed yourself a few moments to rest after a nightmare. Then you'd have to get up again.

You waited for the ringing in your ears to pass, for the faint remains of screams to die out from inside your head. Then you sighed and stood up, throwing on a coat and grabbing your weapon.

Here we go...

You ventured out of your hideout, swinging your weapon aimlessly. You could afford to be careless now- the last victims died at least a month ago. And, of course, the Thing seemed to avoid you like the plague. You decided to make a visit to that bizarre toilet-shop that you had grown so accustomed to. No, you didn't know why it was there, nor did you care. For all you knew it was probably another stupid part of the cat-and-mouse game you were stuck in.

And so you wandered. Your small, yet thoroughly calloused hand ran along the familiar white walls of the mansion while the other tapped your weapon against the hard floor. The house was mostly silent except for the tapping, and you were content with that. You tapped the song your mother taught you, the one who's words escaped you long ago, the one you could no longer hum, but knew the rhythm by heart. It filled with you with a lukewarm sense of familiarity, and was perhaps the only thing keeping you sane.

All of a sudden, a scream filled the house.

Not again!

You rushed down the stairs, taking them two at a time. The front door came into view just as you caught three figures running away in different directions, one being chased by the hideous monster. You opened your mouth to speak, or maybe even yell, but, of course, nothing came out.

You were frozen for a good minute. It's time to go through it all again, your brain whispered. Watch the people you befriended suffer and die with you being the lone survivor.

Take a deep breath, you told yourself, and move your feet.

But your legs wouldn't move.

Move! Your brain cried, but to no avail. Your body was not responding.

"Wouldn't it be better..." a dark, yet oddly fragile voice inside you whispered, "...not to get involved? They wouldn't feel sad for leaving you alone... you wouldn't have to watch your precious friends die... you would be spared... some pain..."

"No," you mouthed to yourself, slumping to the floor. You covered your ears with your palms in hopes to keep the voice from getting in. I have to help them, you thought, but your feet remained immobile.

I have to... help...

You sat there for a long time, thinking, shaking, breaking...

But your mind was already made up.