17 - the world

(image does not belong to me. credit belongs to its respective owner)

"(Name)! Japan! America!"

You jolted into awareness. The time and place set in after a few seconds, and your shoulders slumped, numb. You couldn't lift your eyes from the floor.

"We're back? Oh... if only we could have stayed a little longer..." America said, his expression torn between relief and regret.

You felt a hand touch your shoulder. Your eyes met purple- Canada. "Just sit down, please. You all look very pale," he urged.

"Hey (Name)." You forced your gaze up from the ground.

"Remember what you said to me?" America questioned with a weak smile. "Everything's okay."

No. Everything is not okay, you thought, but nodded just to please him.

Japan still appeared dazed. "It was actually the second world..."

"What?" England asked, tilting his head. Then his eyes lit up in awareness. " Oh."

"(Name)-chan(1)," Japan said to you, his voice still choked up." His dark eyes met yours with a horrified wonder to them. "You were right."

"What?!"

"Really? You're sure?"

"I knew it." You looked up to Canada in surprise. He smiled hesitantly at you. "I believed you from the start."

Before you could even think to respond to that, America was rambling and pacing around.

"They weren't just hypothetical. All those things I saw were past experiences, or the future? Wait. Then, what number is this world? How many times have we... lost our friends?"

Everyone turned to you. You just shook your head slowly. "You don't want to know."

"Tell us," Russia insisted. His voice wasn't demanding- it was merely a request. You met his violet eyes for a long moment before you sighed.

"Dozens... Maybe hundreds... I lost track."

Everyone fell silent at that, dread painted on all their faces. No one spoke for several minutes as each person processed.

"What number?" Canada mumbled to himself. "What? We?"

Russia gave him a strange look. "You mean, how many times have we came here?"

Suddenly Japan stumbled to the floor. After a second, America joined him, slowly sliding down into a sitting position. He reached out to put a hand on Japan's shoulder.

"I know," you heard him say quietly. Then his blue eyes glanced up and met yours. You weren't sure what expression was on your face now. You still felt numb.

England rushed over to them. He waved his arms in alarm. "Hey, are you all right? Just what the hell did you see? Can you go back once more?"

America's shoulders slumped as he leaned heavily against the floor. "Could you do that for me? I don't feel so good, either..."

"I'm sorry," Japan whispered. "Even though I know he's all right, I want to see Italy as soon as possible..."

"You look... unsteady," Russia said after a moment, looking up and down at you and Japan. "Here, Japan, climb on my back. Canada, can you get America? And England can carry (Name)."

Everyone moved sluggishly to do his suggestion. You worked to unlock your fingers one my one. It was a slow process, but you were getting there. England gave you a worried look, and you looked away from his searching eyes.