21 - warning

A/N: hello friends! i was so excited and motivated today- i've been writing the whole day! :D please expect the next chapter relatively soon, as I am halfway done with it now. thank you for reading! please leave comments; i love to hear what you guys think of the story so far! enjoy the chapter!

"Otto?" You whispered, your face falling slack. "Otto, I remember you, but I also don't remember you... what's going on? Why haven't I seen you in so long?" You stopped sharply then and sucked in a breath. You forgot what your voice had sounded like. You had also forgotten that you could speak freely here, without difficulty. It felt strange and familiar all at the same time.

You were slowly beginning to remember. This place, this person. Otto, your friend since childhood. Who played with you and kept you company in dreams- who kept you sane as a child growing up without friends in a madhouse like this.

You remembered that you would forget every time you woke up and remember every time you came back to the meadow. That's why you only remembered him now.

As you stared at him, processing, Otto waited patiently, holding his hands together in front of him. His expression, as always, was very composed for a 6-year-old.

Finally, you spoke. "I remember."

"Good."

"You... haven't changed at all. I've missed you. But- you didn't answer my question: why haven't I seen you in so long?"

Otto took his time to reply, turning his head to look into the distance. "I've had... other matters to attend to." He spoke slowly, each word precisely, like he had been doing more recently in your memories. Then he turned back to you, his expression grave. "I came to warn you."

"Warn me? What's going on? Are you in trouble? I-"

"I'm not in trouble," He interrupted calmly.

"Then why?"

"Danger is rapidly approaching. The challenges you've faced will be greater than ever before, and the creature is growing stronger still. I think it's surpassed your strength at this point, (Name)."

You wanted to protest but a part of you knew he was right. So you opened your mouth and then closed it again, allowing him to continue.

"You've grown close to the others, have you not? Lend each other your strength. You'll all need it. Only together can you... survive." He continued to speak slowly, with pauses in between as if he was hesitating in telling you. You waited patiently for him to finish. "You've known the route of things very well up until this point, but no more. Things are going to change. You must prepare yourself."

When you were sure he was done, you asked quietly, "How do you know this?"

Otto sighed. His expression turned uncomfortable for a brief second before it went back to a composed mask. "I cannot say. But, given that... do you trust me, (Name)?"

"I do." You answered without hesitation. "I trust you. If you can't tell me now, then tell me later. For now, tell me what I need to know."

He smiled. It was a heartbroken kind of smile, and it made you sad and happy at the same time. Clearly he had a lot on his mind that was troubling him. You hoped to ease his burden.

"Very well. First things first, stockpile food and supplies. Have them ready always. Then, prepare for war. Gather your weapons- sharpen them, ready them. Be ready mentally and physically. It's very likely that you'll lose someone. You want to minimize that risk by sticking in groups- no one person should be alone. That includes you."