9 - allies

(Reader, drawn by me. You can see here the scars on Reader's neck that she typically hides with her scarf, and a few expressions she makes!)

You walked a pace behind Prussia and Japan, watching the small space between them left for you to catch up. Instead of doing so, you watched their tense backs as they looked around and walked ahead.

I will protect you, you thought again as you stared at the duo, trying to wish the promise into a tangible existence, hoping to convince yourself that this time, it would ring true.

Despite your years of experience, doubt pierced your stomach. You had seen each one of your new allies die so many times- how could you make any difference? Would your determination and drive be enough?

You forced your shaking legs to move faster to catch up with them with them. Just as you did, you caught sight of Germany and Italy waiting down the hall, Germany leaning cooly against the while wall and Italy stood rigidly beside him. Both men straightened when your trio approached.

"Vhat happened?" Germany asked, his eyes flickering to you once before darting between Prussia and Japan.

"Nozhing important. Let's talk about it later," Prussia suggested. His expression was solemn, which seemed uncharacteristic of him. His seriousness seemed to make everyone serious as well. "Now let's head directly to that exit Japan found."

"Right." Germany still seemed curious, but let it go.

"Okay," Italy said, more unwilling. He glanced at you from the corner of his eyes.

When your eyes met, you tried to smile at him, hoping- but for what exactly, you weren't sure. The resulting smile was awkward, but genuine. You felt a rush of embarrassment at how childish and silly you felt, and yet waited tentatively to see how he'd react.

Seeing that he had been caught staring, a sheepish smile pulled at his lips. His face had colored a warm, endearing shade of pink and his hand lifted to brush back his hair while he looked down self-consciously.

Like usual, the response seemed forged, but still your heart raced beyond control.

Embarrassment, bashfulness, insecurity, elation. How strange. It was like you were experiencing emotions for the first time all over again. This had been happening a lot recently, only since you joined the other men's group- had it only been hours? To say it was overwhelming would be an understatement.

It's not bad though,you thought with care. Just new.

After a second, he made himself look at you again. The color had not yet left his cheeks. "W-will you be okay-a?" Italy asked. After a brief pause, he clarified, "I mean-a, since you just woke up."

Everyone's eyes turned to you. Your body automatically shrunk under the weight of their stares and your hands reached to pull at the bottom of your scarf as an anxious habit before you stood tall again, and nodded. You lifted two thumbs ups in hopes of further convincing their doubtful expressions.

Prussia chuckled. He then told Japan to show the way, which he did. You all trailed after him, silent for a moment.

"So," Prussia began after minute right as you walked into another room. You turned to him, hearing the strange note in his tone. It was obvious that he was talking to you. "If jou're mute, do jou know sign language?"

You thought about that. What defined sign language? You could hand-signal what you wanted in a way that most people could interpret most of the time, but it wasn't exactly a defined language. It was something you just made up for yourself over the years, your own personal language, and everyone who you had befriended after your accident learned a bit of it over time so you could communicate. You parents had not taught you sign language since your lack of voice was caused by the accident that ended them.