8 - outcomes

(image does not belong to me. credit belongs to Eli-san on zerochan.net)

CHAPTER 8

Japan, America, and England talked for a few minutes with the others before heading for the door. As they turned from their allies, they caught sight of you curled up on the floor sleeping silently, your back facing them. The dark, heavy-looking coat that you wore seemed to drown your body completely in its fabric, even more so now that you were curled into a ball; it was all that they could see from this angle in addition to your scarf and your mop of dirty (h/c) hair. You looked so young, and so small. Each man felt a twinge of pity fill them. This wasn't the place for someone like that.

England sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "Well, that's good. I don't know how secure this location is, though...."

"Indeed," Japan agreed, still staring at your immobile form. "But everyone else is here in case something goes wrong."

"The HERO will protect her! ...Once I get back, I mean." America added.

England chuckled humorlessly. "Again with that hero stuff... Anyway, let's go."

They found Italy pacing near the door, looking restless. When they approached him, he paused mid-pace and looked up at them with worry-filled eyes. "Be back soon okay?"

"We will," England replied at the same time America said, "Sure, dude!". Japan just nodded, unable to meet Italy's intense gaze.

The trio left the room. They had an unspoken agreement to explore as much of the basement in the little time they had.

They continued down the hall past the entrance of the basement into a new room- it was nondescript with the standard white walls in addition to a long black table, a wooden cabinet, and a black bookshelf. The three nations automatically split up to search through it.

England immediately busied himself with the bookshelf, his eyes carefully focused as he scanned for anything useful. America looked around the room for any secret doors, tapping along the wall. He was for once mostly quiet and focused, occasionally muttering bright comments to himself. Japan tried the door, which surprisingly opened without any key. He waited for the others two men to finish up what they were doing.

Finally, England walked back over to him and spoke, "There's something about this room that is bothering me. I guess I'll check it out later."

Japan nodded. "Very werr. Now, ret's hurry."

The group continued through the door into a dark, stone-lined hall that differed significantly from all the other rooms they had been in. This one was cold and moist and reeked of mold, and all their faces immediately wrinkled in disgust. Cautiously, they continued down the hallway only to stop, wide-eyed, at its end. A thin rope ladder swung lightly in a breeze against the wet stone wall. Simultaneously, all three looked up to see a blue sky with clouds and the quiet sound of birds, the end of the ladder leading to the outside, to freedom.

They finally found an escape.

"This rope radder..." Japan said, shocked.

"We've got it! I can even see outside! We can finally get out!" England turned to them, elation shining clear in his emerald eyes.

Japan let out a deep sigh of relief. Finally, he thought. "Thank God... Ret's carr the others here, quickry!" He suggested, hurriedly turning on his heels.

"Yeah!" England was quicker, already running out of the hallway into the next to fetch the others.

"Well, ret's go." Japan said to America, eagerly moving to follow suit.