2: Poof in the Night

I squeezed Lily's hand lightly. I suddenly heard a sound like amplified waves. The others looked around with me. The five of us ran off toward the sound until they stopped at a shimmering pool out front of the Shrieking Shack. We stood there staring at it until Lorcan finally moved forward.

Crouching down, he ran his hand gently through the water. He whipped his head around to show us a huge smile.

"Guys, you have to try this!" he said excitedly.

I looked around at the others before we stalked forward to crouch down by the water's edge. I reached my hand out and ran my hand through the water. The others did the same. I felt a great surge of energy rush through my body - from my fingertips to my tiptoes. The hairs of my neck stood on end, and, out of instinct, I grabbed Lily and Alice and pulled them away from the water.

Lorcan looked around at me, "Ly, it's just water. It can't hurt you."

I relaxed myself a little bit but didn't let loose on the girls. Riley suddenly yelped loudly and something in the water tried to pull her in. Lorcan's hands left the water and he grabbed onto Riley as tightly as he could. But he wasn't strong enough alone and Lorcan's knees drug through the dirt. Riley's right leg was now submerged in the water. Lily, Alice, and I grabbed on tightly and pulled with all our might.

With a loud splash, we all flew back from the waterbed a good couple meters. Riley lay in the front of us with a dripping wet leg.

~~~

We rushed back to the castle, making it just in time for dinner. I grasped Lily's hand tightly and smiled. She always told me to live like the mirror didn't happen while also excepting it did happen and it was over. This was a hoax. I wanted to try and move past that stupid pool.

Sitting down with Lorcan, Alice, Riley and Lily, we ate dinner like normal. Until Riley suddenly said.

"Has Erika spoken to you guys recently?"

I looked around to where Erika usually sat and was met with the surprise when she wasn't sitting at her normal place on the table.

Lorcan and I shook our heads together, as did Alice and Lily. I looked down into my plate and started anxiously rubbing my hands against my knees. Lily must've noticed, because she squeezed my forearm reassuringly. I smiled and calmed a little, but still couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. Erika was never late to anything especially meals.

I took a couple silent breaths and told myself Erika was probably in the library and lost track of time. I picked up my fork and started eating my own dinner as if I wasn't worried in the slightest. Riley's eyes kept flicking from her plate to each of our face's the entire time we were eating.

When everyone was done, we went off to our respective common rooms. I took Lily by the hand and went to walk her back to the Gryffindor common room. Riley went off to prep for her nighttime duties as Head Girl, Lorcan doing same for his own Prefect duties. Alice was off to find her brother, because Frankie liked saying goodnight in the Great Hall before they split for the night.

Lily and I walked side by side up one of the staircases when Lily stopped abruptly. I halted, too, and grasped her hand tightly.

"Lils? Are you okay?" I asked.

Lily looked up at me, "Ly? I don't feel so good."

I stared down at her, concerned, "Lily Luna. If this is a prank-"

Lily shook her head, "No. I really don't feel well."

I was about to respond by picking her up, but then I felt my stomach to a somersault over itself. I gripped my abs.

"On second thought, neither do I." I told her.

I felt a weird breeze on the back of my neck. Turning around, my eyes widened when I saw a cloud-like mist. I wrapped my arms around Lily and braced myself.

"I don't know what this is, but we'll be together." I whispered in Lily's ear.