7: Scamander Brothers

It must've been eleven o'clock and I felt my eyes drooping. I fell out of my chair and jolted to my feet. I sat back down and unintentionally started rubbing my hands against my knees. I immediately stopped doing that when I heard:

"Lysander? Where's the others?" Lorcan asked.

I sighed and jabbed at the door, "They're with-" I leaned towards his ear and whispered, "-Nana and Papa."

Lorcan looked around his surroundings, "Did he help me?" I nodded and gave him a small smile. He lifted his head up, "Help me?"

I took his arm up and strung it around my shoulders like a scarf. Then, holding him up with one arm around his waist and my other hand holding his. I took a step forward and watched as Lorcan slowly dragged his feet in his movements.

We finally made it to the door, which took longer than either of us thought, and I was about to open the door when I saw my reflection. Except I didn't just see me. As I looked at the mirror, it was fogging over, and I saw words form in it. They read-

Help me. Please. Help me.

"Lysander?" Lorcan asked. He saw a glimpse of the words and glanced at me.

We were both thinking the same thing. Erika. We both decided to forget about it. We didn't know where to start looking yet. I opened the door and helped Lorcan through the door. I saw Lily, Riley, and Alice over with Newt and Tina. It was a little weird seeing them together without being together.

Lily looked over at me and when she saw that Lorcan was awake, she dropped what she was doing previously and met us a third of the way over to her.

"How are you?" she asked Lorcan immediately.

Lorcan nodded, "I'm fine."

Lily looked at me just as Riley and Alice reached us.

"Lysander. I just wanted-"

I relaxed as Riley helped Lorcan off my shoulders and told her, "Lils. If you're going to apologize, don't. I should." I looked at Lorcan for a moment. He nodded and I took Lily by the hand and walked her further from the group, "I shouldn't have raised my voice. I'm sorry. I-"

"Lysander. It's okay." Lily assured me, "I shouldn't have been shocked. I should've just let you process Erika being here, and I didn't. It was my-"

"No." I said quickly, "Lily, it wasn't your fault. No matter how stressed or anxious I am, it doesn't give the excuse to raise my voice at you."

Lily smiled nodded, "Well, then, we both can be sorry."

I smiled in agreement. Lily took me by the hand and walked with me back to the group. Lorcan was already being crowded by creatures. He wasn't shocked and I could read it on his face he was trying not to be too excited. I felt something on me and looked down. I jumped back immediately, hastily brushing a tail off me. Turning around, I saw the culprit, though I wouldn't be able to name it for the life of me.

It stared at me mischievously before crawling back to its corner of the case. Lily tapped me on the shoulder, which made me turn back to the group. Riley, Alice, Lorcan, and Tina weren't paying me much attention, but Newt was watching me like I was a fascinating new creature. I'd never seen my papa the way I know him study a human being so closely like that except for when my three-year-old brother, Atlas, was born.

Newt turned his attention back to the group when all of a sudden, we heard.

"Newt! Buddy!"

Newt looked at Tina for a moment before started moving toward his shed.

"Jacob?" he asked, "Do you and Queenie need something?"

He disappeared into his shed for a moment before he opened the door again.

"Tina! There's something you should see!" he said in a rushed voice.

Tina looked around at us before hurrying toward the shed. Lorcan and I exchanged glances and for a moment I could've sworn I saw a glint of red in his eye. But I was so worried that they'd probably seen the message in the mirror, I didn't pay any mind to it.

I wonder if they'll start looking for Erika instead.