13: Goodbye and Hello

I turned my head, and all anger left my eyes. My brother stood there, wavering on his feet. I got to my feet and caught him as he fell. Lowering myself to the floor, I held my brother close.

"Hey, hey. What's the matter?" I asked.

"That blast. You hit him too hard. It lifted the jinx too fast." he saw my realization sadness fill my eyes, "I don't blame you, Ly. How could you know?"

I blinked tears out of my eyes, "Know what? You're going to be fine! Just fine!"

Lorcan laughed, "You make my anxiety go away. You know that, right?"

I felt tears rolling down my cheeks, "Why are you acting like this is goodbye?"

"Why are you crying like this is goodbye?" he asked.

Before I could say anything, Lorcan went expressionless, and he started to glow and dematerialize. I watched as his glowing essence floating to the sky. I broke down in tears as I watched. Lily took me in her arms as I rocked back and forth on my knees. My cries echoed through the house.

I felt the floorboards bump up, but I was so full of grief, I didn't pay them any mind.

"Lysander? Where's Lorcan?"

I looked up and saw a disheveled figure that was my sister. I got to my feet and grabbed her in a hug. My shoulders shook and I couldn't get my words out. Erika understood in a heartbeat and started to cry with me. The others joined us in silence. Tina took me and Erika by the hand and disapparated. We appeared in her apartment, and I caught glimpse of a ring Lorcan had worn on his pinkie finger.

Picking it up, I slipped it on my finger and felt my lip quiver. Sitting down in the furthest corner, I watched at everyone else came back. Lily looked at me for a second before coming over to me. I kept staring forward as she sat down beside me. She put an arm around me and rested her head on my shoulder.

I breathed in and tried not to cry, but I couldn't stop the tears from coming. Finally, Riley said-

"We have to know how to get home."

Alice looked up, "Lysander and Erika are grieving. Can't this conversation wai-"

"No." Erika said suddenly. Everyone looked at her. She was sitting with Alice, Newt, and Tina. Her eyes were red and puffy, but she looked determined. She straightened her posture and said, "Mum and Dad are still looking for us. They don't know Lorcan's gone. We have to tell them."

"She's right." Lily agreed, "Rolf and Luna deserve to know the truth."

Tina got to her feet, "Well, in order to get you back, we need to understand how you got here in the first place."

~~~

We were all gathered in Newt's case. I didn't want to look around, because looking made me think of Lorcan and it was way too soon.

"So, there was a poof and you got here?" Newt inquired as he fed his creatures.

Lily, Alice, Riley, and I nodded slowly.

"No." Erika said suddenly again, "I had an assignment where we had to make a model of an old wizarding world tool and then show it off. I chose the time turner. I was planning on making it spin continuously, but it all went wrong. I used the wrong spell, and I enchanted the model to act like the real thing. It exploded and sent me here; just a few weeks before the others got here." I looked at her and couldn't hold back a small laugh, "What?" she asked, staring at me.

"I didn't expect you, of all people, to mess up on a spell." I told her.

She laughed too, but soon we went quiet again. Laughing wasn't the same with Lorcan. Suddenly, my ears pricked up.

"Lorcan!"