14: Back to the Future

Hearing my mum's voice made me feel sick. She sounded afraid, "Rolf, hurry! He's badly wounded!"

Badly wounded? He was dead when we saw him last, wasn't he?

"You all heard that, right?" I asked.

Erika nodded, "We have to hurry up with a plan back."

Everyone got to their feet, but in their haste, Lily sliced her hand on a rusty nail. She gasped from the pain. I took her hand in mine and became frozen staring at it. There was a lot of blood for a harmless scratch. Suddenly, I saw a bright twinkle start on her hand. It got bigger and bigger. Then, voila, she's gone a mist of bright light.

"Injure yourselves!" I told them, "Anyway you can think of!"

Tina and Newt watched us with great concern as we scattered around Newt's case looking for ways to hurt ourselves. I watched Riley and Alice climb onto a tall ledge and jump. They lay jumble for a few moments before disappearing in bright mist. It made me think if Riley just really wanted to jump off a cliff, because we could've just used our wands, now that I think of it.

I looked at Newt and Tina for a moment.

"Thank you for helping us." I spoke. I looked at Tina, "And I'm sorry for lying to you."

Tina shook her head, "You had good reason."

Erika joined me and smiled, "It's nice to know you're not just a real good storyteller."

She pulled her wand out and used it cut a big scratch in her arm. I thought I saw the bone and almost gagged. Erika disappeared in a burst of light. I smiled and couldn't help myself. I gave them a hug. They returned my hug, understanding exactly why.

I backed away and smiled, "See you later."

Then, I cut a big gash in my forearm. Into the bright light I go.

~~~

I went through the light, but instead of falling through like I did with the portal, I navigated it. I met up quickly with Erika and we kept a look out for our stop. Many portals were opening and closing, it was hard to know which one was actually the right stop.

"Hey, look! There's the Battle of Hogwarts!" I pointed out.

"We're not going there." Erika told me.

I saw one and said, "Definitely not going to that one. I think- is that... my birth?"

Erika gagged and then laughed, "Weirdo."

I saw another, "Hey, that's when you spilled punch on Mrs. Potter! You were in so much trouble!"

"We don't need to go there again." Erika said, ashamed.

I reverted my eyes when I saw the tunnels from the missing mirror, and I smiled when I saw the moment of Lily and I's first kiss. Finally, I saw Lily, Riley, and Alice standing patiently looking around. I knew for a fact, that was where we were going. I took my sister by the hand and went to that one.

I readied myself and propelled Erika through the portal first before going through myself. Erika fell through and then, I fell through. We both hit the ground and I knew for certain we were in the outer edges of the Forbidden Forest. I smiled and wrapped Lily in a hug. She saw the gash I'd given myself and was about to tell me how irresponsible that was when I remembered why we were so urgent to get back.

I took Lily by the hand and ran back to the castle. We all ran straight for the Hospital Wing. Just as we made it to the doors, they opened. Our parents walked out, looking as if they were ready to start looking for the rest of us.

"Mum! Dad!" Erika and I called.

They looked around and smiled. Erika and I ran up to them and they wrapped us in tight hugs.

"Mum. Dad. I'm sorry. It was my fault. What happened to Lorcan is all my fault." I desperately started explaining. They shushed me, comfortingly. Looking up at them, I asked, "Can I see him?"

They nodded and I walked into the Hospital Wing. Lily met me, taking my hand in hers and squeezing it reassuringly. I looked at her before beginning to walk to the bed my brother lay in. When I reached his bedside, I let go of Lily's hand sat down beside him. Taking his hand in mine, I started shaking in tears.

"Lorcan, I'm sorry." I said, "This all my fault. It has been since last year. You should never have been told about the mirror. I shouldn't have let you come along. This isn't your life." I lay my forehead on his shoulder and said, "You deserve so much better."

I felt something on my hand and when I looked down, I saw-