4: Don't Tell

The paper fluttered to the ground as my hands grew so shaky, they couldn't hold anything. I started to hyperventilate. I shrank back against the wall, pulling at my hair frantically.

"She's here. She's here. She's been here." I said to myself, rocking to try and sooth myself.

Lorcan crouched down beside me, "Ly, we can find her. I'm sure of it."

"Find who?" a voice said behind us.

We looked toward an illuminated wand and immediately tried hiding in plain sight.

"You went-" Riley started, pointing at the apartment window. She looked back to Tina, "Shit!"

Alice looked over at her, "What, Riley?"

She looked around at us, "She had a feeling she was being followed. She saw us when she turned on the lights."

Tina was staring shocked at Riley now.

Lorcan and I looked at each other, speechless. We'd only seen their nana go speechless once before. Later or before? It was when dad and Uncle Tony found out their nanas were sisters.

Tina invited us inside. Lorcan and I sat on the floor, letting Riley, Alice, and Lily sit on the sofa. It was only polite. Tina stood watching us decide on this as she made cocoa. When she gave each of us a mug of it, Lorcan and I had to hold back our excited smiles and act like the smiles were just to say thank you.

Tina sat in an empty chair by the fireplace and stared at us, "So, where are you from?" she was looking at our clothing as she asked.

The five of us shared nervous glances before Lily said, "We're students from England."

Tina nodded, "Why are you in New York?"

Alice lifted her head, "He sent us here in these odd clothes as a social experiment."

"He?" Tina asked.

"George Scamander!" Riley blurt out.

Lily, Alice, Lorcan, and I all looked at her. Lorcan exchanged a glance with me. We'd only seen our great great great grandfather in pictures. We didn't really know who he was.

"You're close with the Scamander's?" Tina inquired.

Lorcan and I almost choked on our cocoa, trying not to laugh.

Lily quickly adlibbed, "Not really. Our families are-" she glanced at me and gave me an apologetic look, "-acquaintances."

Tina gave Lorcan and I a side glance before setting down her mug, "Well, kids. There's not much room, but you can sleep out here if you want."

Tina started leaving the room, but before she shut the door, she looked at us and said sincerely-

"Maybe tomorrow you can tell me the truth or, maybe, a better lie."

Then, she left us alone. We sat where we were for a little while after she left the room until Alice finally said.

"She's not buying it."

I looked at Lorcan, "She's a lie detector. Papa says that's what made her a great Auror."

The five of us lay down on the floor of the apartment. I lay staring up at the ceiling, beginning to dissociate, when I felt someone prod my shoulder with their foot. I turned my head slightly to look at Lily.

"Can I lie with you?" she asked. I smiled and patted the floor. She smiled slightly and rested her head on my shoulder. We lay there for a while as I ran my hand along her arm when she said, "Ly?"

I looked down at her, "Yeah?"

She stared up at me, "Do you think we should tell her the truth?"

"No." I answered, quicker than one of Bailey's many Quidditch trivia. When Lily continued to wait for me to speak again, all I said was, "We cannot tell her anything."

I lay there as I felt Lily move and she stood up and walked across the room. I watched her lay down beside Alice. I stared up at the ceiling and rested my head comfortably on my arm. Closing my eyes, I couldn't help but think - did I say something wrong?

~~~

I woke the next morning with a nice ray of sunshine pouring on my face. Riley was still fast asleep on the sofa, but I doubted it'd be like that for long. I stood up and joined everyone else. Sitting down, I took hold of Lily's hand. She looked up at me and smiled.

Tina walked into the apartment with a big grin on her face. When she saw us sitting around the table, she hid the smile.

"So. Are you ready to tell the truth?" she asked.

Lily let go of my hand, which made me look down at it. Where we had been holding hands was now just my hand limply hanging there, looking dorky. Retracting my hand, I clasped my hands together and rubbed them nervously.

None of us answered Tina's question. She nodded her head.

"None of you want to explain anything?" she asked rhetorically, "Ok. I understand."

We all turned when we heard Riley say, "We'd like to, but we can't." Tina went to speak, but Riley held up her hand, "No. It's more complicated than that."

Tina did the same thing she did last night when Riley read her mind. She got quiet and stood staring. I'm guessing she'd only known one Legilimens in her life. Queenie. After a moment, she released a sigh.

"Well, kids. If you can't tell me anything and it's as complicated as your friend says, you come into MACUSA with me." Tina said in an offering tone, but Lorcan and I both knew it wasn't a negotiable matter.

.