8: Messages in The Mirror

I walked up to the shed alone as Newt, Tina, and Jacob opened the door. They hadn't noticed me yet, so listened closely to their conversation.

"Who could've sent it?" Jacob asked.

Newt shook his head, "I don't know."

"It couldn't have been him. He's with his father." Tina stated.

That's when I chimed in, "I know who sent it." they looked at me and I felt face go red. Bowing my head, I let out a sigh, "It was my sister. It's even in her handwriting."

~~~

Jacob gathered us in the back of his bakery. Riley was staring into her lap. She didn't want to say anything, because she might say something in response to a thought. Jacob had gone upstairs, and Newt and Tina were standing off to one side, watching us closely.

The mirror from Newt's case sat on a table in front of us. Jacob came back downstairs seemingly having a one-sided argument.

"Those kids need as much help as they can get!"

Riley looked over at me. I would've said something, but she made an offended face and kicked me in the shin.

"Ow!" I exclaimed, "I was just trying to point out you're-"

"Lysander!" Lorcan told me.

I sighed and stared back at the mirror. It gave me a few chills, but if we could communicate with Erika using it, I could push through the uncomfortable feelings it gave me. Jacob, Newt, Tina, and Queenie talked amongst themselves for a few moments. I felt Riley's breath on my ear, but Queenie interrupted abruptly.

"Adults converse in circles because we ain't wanting you to hear."

Riley narrowed her eyes, "Well, I hate it. Even so, what's the point? Both our groups will know what the other's talking about. There's two Legilimens in this room."

Queenie lifted her chin and swallowed harshly. She narrowed her eyes. I realized there might be a cat fight between Riley and her great great grandmother.

"Hey! Can we get focused on what we're gathered back here for?" I gestured to the mirror.

Everyone went silent and Tina pointed her wand at the mirror. It fogged itself, ready for us to write a message. I leaned down, extended my index finger, and wrote:

Erika?

It sat there for a few minutes doing nothing and I was starting to feel anxious when suddenly my message disappeared, and another was written out.

Lysander? You here?

I looked around at my brother before writing.

Yeah. We all are.

We sat waiting for a response for another few minutes. Finally, she sent one more message.

Hurry. He won't wait much longer.

~~~

I tried to send a one more message, but Erika wasn't responding. Eventually, the spell faded, and Tina advised us to wait a day to try again. I felt my nostrils flare. Lorcan turned my torso toward his.

"Come on, Ly. Let it out." he told me.

I raised my hands and beat at his shoulders with my open palms. With a final hit, I let out a scream and collapsed into Lorcan's arms. It looked foolish, but even with Lily there, I wanted a hug from my brother. I felt a little better, but as I felt a couple tears roll down my cheek, I felt like I couldn't breathe.

My lungs were being suffocated.

And then, they weren't. I must've been crying harder than I thought. Lorcan hugged me. I felt someone take hold of my hand. Lily sat where Riley had been and was gently caressing my knuckles with her thumb. I sat back normal and took shaky deep breaths. Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob had left the room to give us some space to deal with our shock, so I stood up, wiped my eyes, and went to tell them my plan.

I didn't care how many days it took; I was determined to find Erika.