18. You Okay?

In the days leading up to Thanksgiving, you were on your absolute best behavior. After many hours of groveling, your mom finally agreed to resolve your grounding. Additionally, you had convinced your mom to let you invite Eddie to your Thanksgiving dinner. It was the last school day before Thanksgiving Break and you were excited to see Eddie and make plans for the break.

Eddie picked you up for school, your new usual. While on the drive to school, you proposed to Eddie the idea of him coming over for Thanksgiving dinner, "So I was talking to my mom and she agreed that it would be nice if you could join us for Thanksgiving dinner. What do you think?".

Eddie paused for a long time, keeping his eyes on the road. Finally, he responded, "I'm sorry sweetheart, my uncle and I have a tradition of spending Thanksgiving together. We honestly don't see each other that much because of our opposite schedules, but Thanksgiving has always been our day. I hope you understand" Eddie added sympathetically. 

For some reason, you felt embarrassed for having asked. You shouldn't had assumed that Eddie would have wanted to come over or that he was available. "It's fine, I understand" you said disappointed. However, you couldn't shake this off feeling you had after the declined invitation. It stayed with you all morning. 

When the lunch period came around, you joined the Hellfire club like you always do. Still not feeling quite right, you remained fairly quiet during lunch. You could tell that Eddie was watching you, wondering what was up, but you didn't want to tell him how you were feeling. You didn't want him to feel bad for actually having a life outside of your relationship, a healthy thing for him to have. 

As per usual, the conversation eventually drifted to D&D. The boys were talking about the next campaign. Eddie had made good progress in his plan and the club would be meeting over break. You decided to chime in and ask what time the meeting would be and what you should bring. There was an uncomfortable silence that fell over the table after you asked this.

Eddie cleared his throat and spoke up, "Um, sweetheart, Sinclair is able to join us for this meeting, so you aren't really invited. I mean, you were just a sub last time...". You could tell that Eddie wasn't thrilled about what he had to say and that he was apologetic, but it didn't make you feel any better. Two rejections in one day was proving to be too much to you.

"I get it, don't worry about it" you said softly. You then excused yourself, returned your tray, and went to the bathroom. You closed the stall door behind you and almost immediately, tears started rolling out of your eyes. You couldn't keep it in, the emotions just came out of you and you were sobbing. 

"Hey, you okay?" an unknown voice asked through the stall.

"I'm fine" you said through stifled sobs. You didn't want any attention, so you wipes your face, locked your emotions back up, and exited the stall. Eyes puffy and cheeks read, you made your way to the sink to wash up.

"You sure you're okay?" the girl asked again. You turned to look at her. She had red hair that was tied back in a low ponytail. 

"Yes, I'm sorry" you replied to the girl.

The redhead came up to the sink next to you and washed her hands. She looked at you through the mirror and said, "I'm Max by the way".

"I'm Y/N" you replied quietly. The force of your cries started to affect your head as you felt a headache forming. "You don't happen to have any Ibuprofen, do you?" you asked Max. 

Max gave you a smile and pulled out a bottle of ibuprofen from her backpack, handing it to you.

"Thanks" you said appreciatively.

"No problem" Max responded and took the bottle back when you were done with it. Both of you finished up in the bathroom as the bell was ringing. You left and went your separate ways. 

By the time that last bell of the day rang, your head was feeling better, but you honestly weren't looking forward to seeing Eddie. You knew that if he asked why your eyes were swollen, you would burst into tears all over again. So, instead of meeting Eddie at his van after school like usual, you took a different path. You wanted to go somewhere where you could relax and think about things in peace. There was only one good place in Hawkins you knew of that would be perfect for this. Skull Rock. 

You zipped up your coat, threw your backpack over your shoulders, and started making your way to the rock, not telling anyone where you were going.