act one, scene seven

"Oh, good, Netra, you're home!" Mrs Mitran said as Netra stepped out of the fire, smiling as though she hadn't just been in a fight with her daughter hours before. "And you've gotten your school things, too! Wonderful! Sit down, your Appa and I have brilliant news!" she exclaimed, pulling Netra to the brown settee in front of the fireplace.

I can't seem to escape a mention of this stupid engagement, can I.

"What is the news?" Netra asked, turning to her father with false cheer.

Her father unfurled the roll of parchment that was sitting on the armrest beside him and handed it to Netra. "You are now engaged to Sirius Orion Black the Third. Your wedding will happen once you both graduate."

Scanning the document, Netra realized she was indeed correct in that her parents did not make the contract magically binding. So, she proceeded with the next step of her plan.

"I don't think we should."

Her mother's to her words was instantaneous. "Netra Ahalya Mitran, the Blacks are a pure, rich English family that can trace their lineage back centuries! We have been lucky enough to seal a match with their heir and there will be no backing out of this marriage!"

"Yes, but I don't think Sirius will be a welcome part of the family any longer, is what I'm saying. It wouldn't be wise to stay in an arrangement that's doomed for failure," Netra said calmly.

Her parents had to believe that changing the marriage was their idea, not hers, because otherwise they might not even do it. All Netra needed to do was push them in the right direction.

I can do that. I hope.

Her father raised an eyebrow, "Getting the Blacks to accept our terms was quite easy," he mused. "Easier than expected, at least."

"That doesn't mean anything!" her mother snapped. "We all know you are not fond of the Black heir, Netra! This match is a good one. I even got the time of that boy's birth—we will be going to the astrologer tomorrow to check if this match is a good one."

Netra's eyes widened. I can use this! This match is very much not a good one; Sirius is gay for Merlin's sake!

"If Dr. Vivek says we are not going to be a good match, you'll change the contract, right?" Netra asked hopefully.

Mrs Mitran stared at her daughter, not expecting her to be compliant. "Oh, dear, you worry too much!" she exclaimed hugging Netra. "It will all work out, you will see! But yes, of course, if for some reason Dr. Vivek agrees with your nonsensical notions, then I will make sure Walburga will not force her son on you."

Netra beamed.

"Hm... of course, he has a brother, but that Malfoy child is also an heir... or maybe that younger Lestrange—you are roommates with his sister, Alice, so that will work nicely..."

✧༺♥༻∞

"Born November 3rd, 1959... What is this boy's name?" asked Dr. Vivek, twiddling with one of his magical contraptions.

The Mitran family was at their astrologer, Dr. Vivek's, office. It was a nice, if stereotypical place. The smell incense was everywhere and the room was lit with candles. The walls were covered with red and gold wallpaper—colours that traditionally bring luck. The table that the four of them were sitting at was currently covered with Netra's birth chart and an incomplete one that Dr. Vivek was working on.