act two, scene one

If one were to look through the topmost windows of the Gryffindor tower, they would find, well... curtains. However, covered by those curtains was the fifth-year Gryffindor girls' dormitory. The Gryffindor Tower had an interesting layout: there were fifteen floors in the tower, the bottommost being the common-room. In the common-room were two sets of stairs, the one on the right leading to the boys' dorms and the one on the left leading to the girls' dorms. Unbeknownst to most Gryffindors, and indeed, most of the Hogwarts population, each of these stairs only covered every other floor. The girls' staircase lead to each odd-numbered floor whilst the boys' staircase lead to every even-numbered one (with an addition of the common-room, of course).

Of course, this meant that there were only seven flights of stairs in each staircase, but Gryffindors were hardly the most curious of the bunch, and as such not many thought of this. In fact, usually only the Prefects selected every seven years to lead the unfortunate first-years that got the highest dorms, and the aforementioned first-years, realized this. This was because the girls' dorm had a tall, slanted ceiling that eventually tapered to a point, while the boys' didn't. There were the small few that looked at the shape of their floor or the flights of stairs and discerned this, but many did not.

The unfortunate first-year girls of this seven-year cycle, saddled with the highest climb, were now fifth-years. As such, they were used to the climb, and even cherished it at times. At this very moment, you could find Marlene McKinnon, Lily Evans and Alice Lestrange sitting on the latter's bed, the curtains slightly closed around it, reminiscing of when they first bonded. In the other corner of the room, on the right hand side of the door, sat Netra Mitran and Preethika Patil, doing the exact same thing (though they didn't know it) on Netra's bed.

"Do you remember the very first time we made it up all those stairs?" Preethi asked.

"We were huffing and puffing like we had just run a marathon!" Netra laughed

"And we woke up super early because we had all those stairs to run down and we had to find our classes..."

"Oh! Are you talking about your first day here?" asked Lily Evans, glancing in their direction.

The redhead had always wanted more unity in their dorm, but both McKinnon, and to some extent, Lestrange, were cold to Netra and Preethi, and the opposite was true. They were perfectly fine with each other until they were introduced, so Lily assumed it was some stupid pureblood politics.

"Yes," Netra said stiffly.

"We were talking about the same thing!" Lily exclaimed, looking at the two girls next to her. "Ally was just saying that her first day was disastrous—it was how she and Marls properly met, see."

From the other end of the room, Netra and Preethi shared a glance. Lily Evans was entirely too open and forthcoming for her own good.

"Mmm," Preethi hummed, slowly getting off Netra's bed. "Well! First day of fifth-year is terrible, I hear, so I'm going to bed! You lot ought to do the same!"

Netra, thankful for the escape though it was anything but subtle, agreed vehemently, snuggling into her covers. "Yep, lots of lectures to be heard about the O.W.L.s, unfortunately, and I'm sure we'll all need brainpower for that."

There was a disappointed sigh from Lily, but hearing no outright complaints, Preethi closed the curtains around both their four-posters beds.

The last thing Netra heard before she drifted off was a hushed, "See, what'd I tell you? They think they're too good for us!"

Well. We don't, but sure.

✧༺♥༻∞

The next morning found Preethika and Netra at the Gryffindor Table in the Great Hall for breakfast, enjoying some porridge. Netra had given them both generous portions of maple syrup and bananas, and as a result, the two were preoccupied with the almost disgustingly sweet taste of their meal. It made sense, then, that they didn't notice that the Black Family's owl flew over to the Gryffindor Table after dropping a letter on Regulus Black's head—not that they noticed that either.

It wasn't until the bird pecked her on the head and dropped a letter that almost got in the way of her spoon and the porridge that Netra noticed it, and by then the owl flew away.

From opposite her, Sirius snickered, "I'm not the only one it does that to, then."

"Shove off," Netra groaned, eyeing the letter suspiciously.

At those two words, Preethika laughed, causing Black to stare at her strangely. "What's so funny about Mitran telling me to fuck off? Well, telling me to fuck off in a slightly politer way," he amended when Netra glared at him.

"It's just... she says it all the time, and I never really noticed until..."

With Preethika and Black sufficiently distracted, Netra began to pry apart the Black Family Crest from the envelope quietly, making sure that no unexpected noises would grab the attention of the people around her.

Dear Netra,

Your parents have recently informed me of your distaste in marrying my son, Sirius. It is perfectly understandable—I had not expected anyone to accept that blood-traitor as a husband. However, I thank you for your faith in Regulus. As your parents are currently away in Australia (a trip far too long for any owl), I am writing to inform you that the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black accepts your counter-offer. As per our previous terms, you will marry my son the summer of your graduation.

𝖂𝖆𝖑𝖇𝖚𝖗𝖌𝖆 𝕭𝖑𝖆𝖈𝖐 𝖓𝖊𝖊 𝕭𝖑𝖆𝖈𝖐

Netra bit her lip. She should be happy about this turn of events, as it was what she was waiting for, but a part of her still couldn't help but wish she mentioned Praveen when her father was going over other pureblood bachelors. It was something she thought of only after, and something that she probably wouldn't have done anyway, but what if?

Sometimes she felt really stupid.

"Hey, Mitran, you coming to DADA?" Sirius asked suddenly.

The rest of the Marauders looked up, interest peaked.

"Um, yeah," Netra mumbled, pocketing the letter. "See ya soon, Preethi."

With that, Netra and the Marauders made their way to the DADA classroom.

Once they left the Great Hall, Potter asked, "So? What was in that letter?"

"I've downgraded from Gryffindor Black to Slytherin Black, alright? Now, fuck off." Netra said as she stormed off, suddenly fuming.

She didn't even know why she was so mad! Well, no, she did know. She got so caught up in doing what she was told, that she forgot to think of herself, but that was nothing new! The Marauders completely screwed her over, and they knew it. She knew it! Why would they have helped her when Sirius was suffering right in front of them, anyway? She'd been a right bitch to them, even if it was for a good reason.

As she plopped down into her seat, Netra decided, The Marauders are right prats. And I'm a stupid ass for listening to them.