act two, scene four

Netra was on her bed with the curtains pulled shut, smiling as she read Willow's letter to her. He really had impeccable timing when it came to cheering her up. Pulling out a roll of parchment and a quill from the drawers attached to the base of her bed frame, she pondered her reply.

I can't very well say, "Oh, I'm glad to hear you're doing great. Quite frankly, I'm terrible. See, I was roped into a marriage contract with a bent bloke whose friends convinced me to change my future spouse to his brother. Then, I realized how stupid that was because I could've changed it to my best-friend/crush. ... Except I don't really regret it because I'd hate to force him to marry me."

None of that would go over well.

Netra groaned and put away the parchment and ink, slamming the drawer shut before lying on her bed, spread-eagled. She'd always had a habit for dwelling on mistakes she couldn't fix.

Merlin, why am I like this?

She was about to go into another bout of self-pity, but was distracted by the door to the Girls' dorm opening.

The girl entering walked quickly and slammed open Netra's curtains with a sigh.

"Quit moping, Netra," Preethi demanded, flopping onto her bed. "The least you could do is tell me, your best friend, about your issues."

Netra gave an annoyed noise and slightly turned away from Preethi.

Preethi rolled her eyes, "Anyways, I have news."

Netra perked up slightly, ever-ready for a distraction. "Really? What is it?"

Preethi grinned, glad that her plan was working already. "I think I might have a crush," she said after casting a silencing charm on Netra's curtains.

Netra's eyes widened and she scrambled into a sitting position, "Who? When did you realize? I need everything."

Preethi blushed, "Well... See, I've been talking to him for a bit, now, and I always thought he was cool? Ish?"

"Go on," Netra prodded.

"Okay well actually, I thought he was a bit of a prat until recently when I really got to pay attention to him. But now I realize he's super attractive and he also cares about the things he's interested in," Preethi rambled.

"Preethi, stop stalling. Who is it?" Netra asked, completely invested in the topic.

Preethi bit her lip, now starting to rethink telling Netra about this, "I don't know how to tell you... you might judge me."

"We've been best friends since year one! I'm the last person who's gonna judge you. Unless it's one of the marauders..."

Preethi's eyes widened, slight betrayal evident on her face, "I..."

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding! So, it is one of the marauders. Which one?" Netra smirked.

"Uh... Sirius," Preethi said with a slight smile, looking away from Netra.

Netra's heart sank, a million thoughts running through her head.

How am I going to tell her that he's gay?

She tried to put on a faux smile as Preethi looked back at her, eyes full of hope that Netra would approve.

"Wow, damn. I never thought Sirius Black of all people would be your first crush," Netra chuckled.