act two, scene two

At 8:45 on the dot, Netra's new Defence professor waltzed in the room, closing the door silently. Preethi, who had joined her sometime before that, stopped bugging her about leaving breakfast early, instead staring at their new professor, Dorcas Meadowes. Unfortunately, they were in the minority. After numerous Gryffindor-Slytherin debacles, Dumbledore had decided to make the fifth-year Defence classes with the Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs paired. That made for an extremely chatty class.

After six minutes of waiting, Meadowes pulled out her wand, casted a few spells in the direction of the fifth-years (many of whom still had not noticed her) and then pointed her wand at her desk.

"REDUCTO!"

The ensuing destruction of the professor's desk caught everyone's attention.

Professor Meadowes waved her wand, fixing the damage with a smirk, "Now that I've got everyone's attention... who can tell me how long I've been standing here for?"

Netra knew for a fact that only she, Preethi, and Lily, along with Lily's seat partner, Abbott, had noticed Meadowes, and she wasn't surprised when Lily slowly raised her hand.

"Yes, Ms..."

"Evans," Lily supplied. "You've been here for about eight minutes, I think." Lily said, glancing at her watch.

"Correct," Meadowes said, pleased. "Five points to Gryffindor."

"Yeah, Lily!" Potter cheered, sadly reminding Netra of his existence.

In response to this, Professor Meadowes scowled, "What Ms. Evans noted is only common sense. Most of you lack any situational awareness. For fifth-years? This is unacceptable. By the end of my time with you, all of you should notice when someone or something is out of place."

The room was silent. Potter seemed properly abashed.

"Am. I. Understood?"

"Yes Professor," the class chorused.

"Good. Now, I am Professor Dorcas Meadowes, former, and hopefully future, Auror," she said, writing her name on the board. "I'm here because I owed Headmaster Dumbledore a favour, and in my time at Hogwarts, I was a Hufflepuff. As it is your fifth year here, I am tasked with making sure you pass your O.W.L.s, and I am damn well going to make that happen. None of you should have anything below an Exceeds Expectations once I'm through."

Again, silence met her speech. She was good at that, Netra noted.

"It seems all of you are in agreement," Meadowes grinned. "Can anyone tell me what the fifth-year Defence curriculum is focused on?"

Lily raised her hand again, and after a moment Netra's joined it.

"Yes, Ms..."

"Mitran, Professor," Netra supplied. "The fifth-year Defence curriculum is primarily focused on hexes and jinxes."

Professor Meadowes gave Netra a smile, "At least I know your class is capable of opening a book. For your Defence O.W.L., you will have to demonstrate both your theoretical and practical knowledge of Defence. Meaning, all the material covered from your first year to your fifth will be tested.

"I am to understand that there have been rumours of a curse on this teaching position. As such, your Defence education has been sadly unstable. It is my job to not only teach you the fifth-year curriculum, but to also fill in the gaps placed by my predecessors. I cannot do that if you don't give me your full attention. Obviously, disruptive behaviour will not be tolerated. Any questions?"