Three

Sultana

If there would be one thing that I will be forever impressed with, that would be Harley's appetite, especially for breakfast. Hindi tulad ng ibang mga bata, si Harley kulang ang araw kapag hindi heavy ang breakfast niya. While other kids are fine with milk and bread, my Harley demands fried rice, egg, and any partner silogs could offer. 

Kaya nga tuwing gabi, may pasobra na lagi ang sinaing ko para mayroong maisangag sa umaga. If someone will ask my daughter about her favorite food, she will probably say Tapsilog. Harley's love for tapa, sinangag, and itlog combo will be immeasurable. Our kitchen is always warm with love food.

After all, Harley and I agreed that breakfast should be a priority for us. As what I usually tell her, breakfast is the most important meal of the day which she took into her heart. But the truth behind that truth is that I am more energized to work for a living whenever I see my daughter early in the morning eating heartily.

The more I see her enjoy her food, the more I am pumped up to work hard so that I could spoil her with everything I could give.

I cooked fried rice, sunny side up, smoked fish, bacon, and mushroom soup. I also sliced some fresh tomatoes which is a good pair with smoked fish for today's breakfast. I quickly set up the table since I woke up 20 minutes late compared to my wake-up time. After pouring milk to Harley's glass, I began to make my coffee. 

Dahil laki sa probinsya, hindi talaga ako sanay sa coffee machine. Mas gusto ko padin talagang powder ang kape. Wala din akong eksaktong sukat ng kape, asukal at creamer sa pagtitimpla pero laging iisa lang ang kinalalabasan ng lasa. Ikaw ba namang kape ang dumadaloy sa dugo mo, hindi pa maging pulso ang maintained portion sa pagtitimpla. Just like what Carmela has said, kapag ako naospital kape nalang ang ilagay sa dextrose ko baka mas bumilis recovery ko.

I was about to go back inside our room to wake Harley up when I saw her coming out of the room squinting her eyes.

"Good morning, Harley." I greeted her after sipping from my coffee.

"Good morning mommy. How was your sleep?" She greeted and asked before sitting on her chair.

"It was great!" I replied. Although truth is told, I had a hard time falling asleep due to Harley's mention of the word 'Daddy' last night. It made me overthink.

Just thinking of Harley growing up without a father pinches my heart.

However, I could never risk of being involved with a man that might harm my daughter someday. Ako nga di kilala ama ko, iniwan ng ina ko at hindi pinakisamahan ng maayos ng mga kadugo ko. How much more with other people?

"Wow, mommy! Birthday ko ba?" Harley suddenly became wide awake in the split of a second upon the sight of the warm food in front of her. I chuckled at her innocence. One time I bought a bucket of chicken joy from Jollibee because I was promoted from a waitress to a manager and she thought it was her birthday. Also when Carmela bought a cake which we ate together when I was fished from manager to an instant CEO's secretary- she thought it was her birthday.

Kids see things brighter than we do. They could see things tenfold differently from what we could. The way they perceive things is truly amazing.

"No silly, it's just that today is a very special day," I told her in a happy tone.

"Why mommy? Have you found your missing pencil? Last time you are having a hard time looking for it." Natawa nalang ako sa sinabi ni Harley. She's probably talking about the first old pencil that I've been using with my sketches ever since. That pencil witnessed my successes before especially way back in my province, the 'Sanctuary of nature's Splendor' -Aurora province.