Eight

Malik

"So here is the reason why you should tell daddy to let me go abroad with my friends."

Silva pressed a key, making the next slide appear, and smirked at the sight of it. The image shown is a kind of offer that will tug my conscience to the core if I reject it.

Flashed on Silva's laptop screen is a Leica 35 mm rangefinder camera. A photographer and a vintage collector like me will be hitting two birds with one shot if I grab this item.

"Of course, kuya, I don't have to explain this item. But I just want you to know that this specific camera is special," pasuspense na sabi ng aking kapatid.

Napatitig ako kay Silva. By the way, she grins, I know that the camera she is offering me is more than what I thought it was.

"I won this through an online auction Kuya. And yes, this is Henry Cartier-Bresson's vintage camera," she said proudly which made my lips part.

Henry Cartier-Bresson is no ordinary photographer. He is a french photographer who was given the title of "Master of Candid" and the "Father of Photojournalism".

He captures moments alive.

"How did you manage to do that?" Namamangha kong tanong sa aking kapatid. The camera must be expensive!

"That's a secret kuya, so are you in?" She asked me.

I chuckled and gave up. There is no way I will not help her if an item of the century is on the table.

"Okay, count me in. Discuss the details," I answered.

We are currently at the restaurant of Silva's choice for lunch and her main agenda. Currently, she is discussing her plans with the use of a presentation.

Literal na mayroong laptop at prepared slides para sa meeting namin. I thought we are just going to eat and talk about her request.

But Silva is a woman of drama and surprises. She always has something in her pocket to pull.

Like for an instance, she already had me on my collar from the moment she purchased that vintage camera. At base naman sa pinupunto ng paliwanag ni Silva, hindi naman ganoon kahirap iyong hinihiling niya.

She just wants me to assist her kapag magpapaalam kay Daddy. While daddy just laughs about my quick connection with women and Sean's snob attitude, he on the other hand is very strict towards Silva.

I could not blame him though. Even I as her brother would worry. I have these what-ifs on my mind in everything she does.

Baby kung ituring nga ng pamilya si Silva. But the truth is, she is already 27. All of us are of marriageable age. Yet daddy still treats Silva as if she might get lost like a kid.

As much as we want Silva to do what she want, we also want her to be secured. Kaya nga kahit saan siya magpunta, mayroong bodyguard talaga na nakatalaga para sa kanya.

"Kinakabahan kasi ako kuya. Hindi pwedeng hindi ako payagang pumunta ng Hawaii!" She said with a worried tone.

"I think father will let you kung kasama mo nga yung bodyguard mo," sabi ko naman.

"Paano ko naman maeenjoy kuya ang trip namin ng nga friendship ko kung may nakabuntot ng nakabuntot," nagmamaktol naman niyang sabi.

"Just be honest Silva, who are you really with?" I asked in a serious tone.

Bumuntong hininga siya. "Kuya, I'm 27 naman na diba?" Panimula nito.

"And?" I asked, waiting for more details.