Chapter 5

I wake up before my alarm. Even though I got home late, I haven't felt this rested in a long time. Even though I spent weeks lying in bed and then lying on the couch, I never truly slept. I cried. I stared blankly at the ceiling or at the TV, and every time I managed to sleep, I had nightmares. For the first time in a while, I'm excited to get up.

Taking Connor's advice into account, I try to choose the most comfortable clothes I can find in the closet, which, in fact, there are very few items to choose from. I definitely need to do some shopping if I'm going to keep living here and working at the Magnolia.

After rummaging through my things, I finally settle for a pair of dark denim jeans, a thick knitted grey sweater, brown ankle boots with a short heel, and a huge scarf that I can wrap around my neck and shoulders.

It's still too early to go to the Magnolia, so a stroll around town seems like a good idea. Greenshire is a small town, but even so, there's so much I haven't seen.

As I'm wondering around, I cross paths with a flower stand. The guy taking care of the stand must be slightly older than me. He has short caramel hair without a strand out of place, big dark eyes. He's tall, although not as tall as Connor, has a slender build and is, overall, handsome. He's hunched over the stand with his chin resting on his palms and has a look of utter and complete disappointment splattered all over his face.

"Morning," I say as I pass the stand.

The florist's face lights up immediately. "Morning. Is it for a special occasion?"

"Sorry, what?"

"The flowers. Do you want a bouquet for a special occasion?"

"No, I don't. I—" as I speak, his face goes back to its previous sad frown. "Is business that bad?"

He nods. "I lost my job. I worked as an elementary school teacher, so I came back home to help my mother with her shop. We thought that maybe a stand outside would attract more clients. Our shop is not in one of the major streets, so it's not the easiest place to find."

"People don't buy flowers anymore, I guess."

"Sadly, it seems so."

The flowers are beautiful. Why don't people gift each other flowers more often? Last time I was given roses it was meant as a half-assed and half-hearted apology. It only took a bunch of flowers and a book for me to forgive him. That's how simple it was. I would turn a blind eye to everything.

I glance again at the flowers in front of me. I can't change my memories, but I can create new ones. I don't need to associate a simple flower with something hurtful.

"I want those three big bouquets, please."

"Really?" He suddenly perks up and shows a beautiful smile. "What are you going to do with them?"

I shrug. "I'll come up with something."

"Thank you so much."

"I'm Isabella, by the way. And you?"

"Ren."

"I hope business picks up again. Bye." I say as I walk away covered in flowers.

I look at the time on my phone. I left home early but I'm about to be late for work, and it's just my second day and, on top of that, I leave right above the Magnolia. How can I be late? And what the hell should I do with so many flowers?

On my way to the Magnolia, I see Ellie's store. Bingo!

"Good morning!"

"Oh my, I can't see your face, dear. Just magnolias, lilies, and tulips. To what to I owe this visit?"