Chapter 16

My first day at work after being sick was a short one, as Connor said it would be. Even though I insisted on staying longer, he forced me to go home. He almost pushed me out the door and dragged me upstairs. Yesterday, I ended up reading the book Albert gave me in one sitting. So, now I'm at the bookstore to thank him before going to the Magnolia.

"Good morning."

"I was expecting your visit. But not so soon. Are you feeling better?"

"I am. Thank you for the book. I read it last night."

"I knew you were going to like it. If you have the time, I have a couple more recommendations."

Albert's grandson, he's here again. He's walking around putting new books on the shelves. He looks at me, he simply nods, and keeps doing his job. First time I saw him, he also barely spoke. I think he must be younger than me. He has light brown skin, dark wavy hair, and amber coloured eyes.

"My grandson, Richard, he's going through a rough patch right now, so don't mind him. He's not a bad lad."

Richard looks lost in his thoughts, broken. So, this town truly attracts people in need of healing, I hope he finds what he needs.

I followed the old man around the store and ended up leaving with a bunch of new books. Albert gave me a big discount on all of them and in return, I promised I would come back to discuss the books with him and that next time I would bring more flowers. I stopped by the apartment to drop off the books and went straight to work.

It's a slow morning, some coffees to go and a couple of breakfasts. A usual client, a man about my age, makes small talk as I pour him coffee, and, to my surprise, Connor is intensely gazing at the man. I politely smile at the man and nod, trying to pretend I'm listening to every word his saying, while my mind wonders around. The man finally leaves, and I go to the back to pick up some ingredients from the pantry.

"Was Simon bothering you?" Connor asks, leaning against the door frame.

"Who?"

"The man you were talking to."

"No. Why?"

"He can be... talkative. I just want to make sure my employees are safe." He runs his fingers through his hair and looks at the inventory chart on the wall. Ah, there it is, flustered Connor number 3. What was it that Ren called him? Big huggable klutz?

"He didn't say or do anything inappropriate." I can't help but to fell slightly amused. Is he jealous?

"How are you feeling today?"

"As good as new."

"So, if you are really fully recovered, I have something to ask you."

"What?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to—"

"Where are my potatoes?" Carla yells from the kitchen.

"Coming," I yell back. "What were you saying, Connor?"

"Nothing important. Forget it."

"Just say it."

"A friend of mine is in a jazz band. They're playing tonight at a bar in the city. I was wondering if you would like to go?"

"Are they any good?"

"To be honest, I have no idea." We laugh. "I don't know a thing about music. I'm just going to support him. And if I don't go, he'll spend eternity nagging me."

"Sure. I'll go."

"Can you be ready around ten p.m.?" I nod.

After taking a shower, I put on light makeup and tried to do something with my hair, but my natural waves and hair colour are starting to show after so long without going to a hairdresser.

Inside the closet, I found a black dress with long sleeves, slightly above the knee. As for the shoes, I went with red pumps. It's a cold night so I can't leave without a coat, so the best option is my go-to trench coat that ties around the waist and my ensemble is complete.

The doorbell rings and I immediately go down the stairs. Connor is waiting outside his car. He's wearing a white shirt under a heavy grey coat, black trousers, and shoes instead of the boot he usually wears. He's always handsome, but he looks even more charming in this outfit.

"Hi," I say, and Connor answers with a smile as he opens the car door for me. "So, you do own something besides flannels and white t-shirts."

"Don't mock me, please."

"I'm not. You look good." Flustered Connor expression number 4. I feel accomplished. It all looks the same. Why do I even bother coming up with different numbers?

"Thanks. Believe it or not, I used to work at a bank, so I still own some of these."

In the car, I can't help but to stare at my hair in the mirror as I try to do something with it.

"I like it," he says, quickly glancing.

"Thank you, but some people might say otherwise."

"Who cares? Just have it in any way you like. Don't worry about it, okay? You look good with straight hair and with wavy hair."

It's my turn to get flustered. Karma, I guess, or maybe it is contagious. I must be spending too much time with Connor. I look away towards the night sky. There are stars, so many stars. I couldn't see them where I used to live.