Chapter 30

To finish the renovation project as quickly as I can, I'm taking a break from working at the Magnolia. It's a bittersweet feeling. It feels good to work on my craft, on something I love, but at the same time, I've grown used to working at the café. I love working at the Magnolia. I love the work environment, the business and most of all the people.

It's only been a couple of days since my break started, but I already miss Rita's energy, Carla's sharp tongue and Maia's curiosity and, above all, I have to admit to myself; I miss having Connor hovering around me.

Since I arrived, I have always been surrounded by people every day, and now I'm secluded at home again as I'm working on this project. But the project is going well, truth be told I don't have much to do, Rita's ideas are amazing, and she gave me a very organized folder with the inspiration pictures. My only job is to put everything together and to smooth out the edges. We've contacted the contractors and I've ordered the new pieces of furniture.

The doorbell rings.

"Oh. Hi Connor." He frowns as he looks at me. "What?" I ask as I brush my hair with my fingers. Do I look that bad? I know I'm not dressed up, but still.

"Glasses?"

I touch my face. "Oh. Yes. Right. You have only seen me with contacts."

"They look good on you."

"Thanks." I blush and look down.

"You haven't left the place in a while."

"I get like that when I'm focused on work."

"Don't forget to take care of yourself," he says, and I smile. "I brought you dinner." He shows me the bag in his hand.

"What is it?"

"Chinese. There's this great place in the city. I was visiting my father and stopped by the restaurant before coming back."

"Come in. Let's eat before it gets cold."

Connor and I walk towards the dining table, but the table has become my very messy workspace and there's no place to eat. There are papers and photos and sketches scattered everywhere, and my laptop and my tablet.

"I'm sorry. I don't have a proper office," I say as I scratch my head and look around.

Connor chuckles. "Don't worry about it."

We decide to have dinner on the coffee table in front of the TV; we sat on the carpet on top of cushions, with our shoulders touching, or better saying, my shoulder touching Connor's bicep, and with our backs leaned against the couch.

"If you decide to stay and to keep working, I can help you find a studio, so that you don't have to work at home."

"Thank you. But I'm not sure yet."

"The project seems to be going well. Rita and Jorge are very excited about your ideas."

"It feels good to work on this."

"I sense a but."

"I... I know it's weird, since it hasn't been that long, but I miss being at the Magnolia."

"Well, I'm happy to hear that. I'm glad you like the Magnolia."

"Most of all, I like the people. It feels like a family. And I don't feel alone."

"If you ever feel alone, just stop by or call me." I look at Connor's eyes and smile. "Or... I mean. You can call Rita, or Carla or Maia. Any of us, really."

I chuckle. "I know Connor. You missed me. You can say it. Just admit it."

He immediately gets flustered and looks away. "Fine. I've missed you. Too much. Are you happy?"