Chapter 24

Time has gone by so fast. Halloween is right around the corner, and the Magnolia is looking the part. There are cobwebs and pumpkins everywhere, skeletons and spiders and fuming cauldrons with floating candles and apples.

Apparently, Rita is obsessed about Halloween and takes the whole thing very seriously, so seriously that costumes are mandatory on the 31st. Maia is going to be a witch with a small witch's hat glued onto a headband, a cute black dress, stripped socks, and pointy boots.

Rita is getting dress as Sally from the Nightmare Before Christmas and she's making Jorge dress as Jack Skellington and Hope as Zero. I actually think that's a really cool family costume. Carla and Miranda are getting dressed as vampire queens and their kids want to dress like zombies.

Rita got me a red riding hood costume that looks very sweet, and the cape is not that long, which is good since I'll be walking around the café serving clients all day. As for Connor, I don't know yet what he'll be, but I'm sure his sister won't let him get away without putting on a costume.

Carla and I have been testing new ideas for the spooky season menu and so far, they've turned delicious. We have cookies that look like ghosts and black cats and pumpkins, cupcakes with chocolate spiders on top, cakes with gummy eyes and green and purple lattes.

I haven't had this much fun in a long time, and Halloween was not something I cared about, but I have to say, I'm looking forward to it. Rita walks in the Magnolia with more boxes filled with decorations and a bunch of pumpkins.

"Hon, do we really need more of these?" Carla says as soon as she sees the pile of new items.

"Yes. You shouldn't even ask that."

Connor chuckles as he walks behind, with more pumpkins. We haven't had any time to talk about what happened.

"Oh my," Maia says as she walks in to start her shift and almost trips on a pumpkin.

"We'll be closing earlier today. We need to carve these pumpkins asap. Just two days left before Halloween, and I want this place filled with spooky and scary pumpkins."

Maia raises her hand. "Yes Maia?" Connor asks.

"I need to study for a test."

"You can leave after your shift, don't worry about it."

"But we need more help. Have you looked at the pumpkins we have here?" Rita whines. "I'll call Jorge."

"I can ask Miranda and the kids to help." Carla says.

"That would be great. Thanks Carla."

We put up the new decorations and put away the pumpkins until it was closing time. After the last client left, we closed the place started working. Miranda appeared with Miguel and Santiago, and Jorge arrived with Hope.

"Do you need help with that?" Connor asks as he sees me struggling to cut the lid on the pumpkin.

"Yes please," I say, feeling defeated.

"You've never carved a pumpkin before?"

"In school, when I was a kid, aside from that, no. Most people around me didn't care much about it. It's great seeing someone enjoying it as much as Rita does."

He chuckles. "She's always been like this. She even made me write a clause on the contract, when she became my partner here at the Magnolia, that I would let her plan Halloween events."

"You can't be serious?"

"I am. She really loves this. I don't mind it as long as she's happy. It also attracts more customers. And even though I never want to, she always manages to put me in a costume."

"What's your costume?"

"Werewolf apparently. She got me some wolf's ears and a tail. I think. And you?"

"She got me a red riding hood costume."

Connor finishes emptying the pumpkin and gives it back to me.

"There you go. What face do you want to carve?"

I look around the Magnolia, at everyone's pumpkins. Carla and Miranda's pumpkins look perfect. They have angry eyes and scary grins. The kids' pumpkins look... Okay... I guess. Crooked smiles and triangular eyes. Miguel and Santiago look like they are having fun. Rita's and Jorge's pumpkins are the scariest looking ones.

"Can't my pumpkin just be smiling and look friendly?"

"I don't know if Rita approves, but fine, let's do it."

Connor grabs my hand and helps me carve the eyes. His body is pressed against mine and I feel his warmth on my back. I can feel his smell and his breath on my neck. My heart starts thumping in my chest.

"Come on, it's your pumpkin. I can't be doing all the work."

I immediately feel myself blushing and look down at the pumpkin while Connor guides my hand.

"Shut up. Is not my fault I'm distracted. You know exactly what you're doing and it's not fair." He chuckles. It's a husky, deep chuckle that makes my whole-body shiver. "You just wait."

"Oh, so you truly are vindictive." I glare at him.

Halloween songs are playing on the background, everyone laughing and having fun around their pumpkins. I can't help but to feel happy. We look like a weird big happy family.

"Connor, can you help Miguel and Santiago?" Miranda asks.

"Sure."

Connor lets go of my hand and steps back. "Can you finish yours?" I nod. Finally! I can finally breathe. Damn you, Connor! I'm starting to doubt your shyness.

My pumpkin is looking surprisingly good. It looks sweet and nice, unlike the other ones around here, but I like it. I clean my workstation and wash my hands; my pumpkin is ready, and I put it on display by the window and the lit the candle.

Hope wakes up and starts to cry. Rita and Jorge look puzzled at each other with their hands covered in pumpkin entrails.

"Isabella, can you hold her?" Rita asks.

"Yes," I immediately answer, even though I'm panicking on the inside.

I don't know the first thing about babies. Not even children, let along babies. They just look frail and small. I pick up Hope and go to the staff room, looking for some peace and quiet. I walk around with Hope in my arms and after just a couple of minutes she falls back a sleep.

"Are you both okay in here?" Connor whispers as he opens the door.

"I think so."

"Then why do you look so frightened?" He chuckles.

"I don't know what I'm doing. Help me."

"I think you're doing great," he says as he walks towards me. Connor is standing right in front of me as he glances down at Hope. "You were perfect with her, don't look so scared."

He cups my face with his hands and slowly kisses my forehead. My heart stops.

"Let's go. Everybody is ready to leave," he says as he picks up Hope from my arms.