Chapter 25

It's Halloween! Before we opened the Magnolia, Rita made sure that everything looked perfect, and that everyone looked the part. Maia is such a cute witch and I'm not a bad red riding hood, if I can say so myself. It's a cute white dress with a faux leather corset, a short red cape, and knee-high boots. The rest of the group is getting ready later before we go trick or treating with the kids.

I'm in the pantry getting some ingredients for Carla and Connor walks in.

"Morning," I say.

His werewolf costume is basically his usual lumberjack outfit with wolf's ears and a tail. Connor glances at me, immediately turns red from head to toe, turns around, and starts walking away. I chase him and grab his arm.

"Do I look that good?"

"Fuck..." He scratches the back of his neck and looks at the floor. "Yes."

"Who knew you were into role play?" I smirk, and Connor turns even more red. There should be a whole scale of reds based on Connor.

"I'm not." He can't even look at me. He's just looking around the pantry.

I cup his face with my hands and give him a quick kiss.

"You are trying to kill me, aren't you?"

"You are the wolf, not me." I wink and go to the kitchen.

***

We are closing earlier and everyone is finally ready. Carla and Miranda look like the most gorgeous vampire queens ever and I might be slightly obsessed with how they look. Their kids are playing their zombie part to perfection. Rita makes a perfect Sally and Jorge's Jack is far better than I excepted, he's definitively embracing the part.

"The things we do for love," Jorge says as he walks past me fixing the bow around his neck.

Rita and I are shutting the blinds and locking the doors. "I have to ask. Did you choose Connor's costume and mine on purpose?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," she says with a wink.

"Come on," I sigh. "Red ridding wood and a wolf?"

"What? Don't look at me like that. It's a fun couple costume."

"We are not a couple."

"Couple of friends." We aren't quite that either, though.

"I know what you're doing."

"I'm not doing anything."

As we walk around streets, I feel transported into Halloweentown. It seems like Rita isn't the only one around here to take the day seriously. The kids knock on every door and feel their bags with candy, and the adults are also having a lot of one. Actually, I think we are the ones having the most fun and we are just using the kids as an excuse to celebrate Halloween.

The kids are finally getting tired and even though we could keep going, it's time to go home. We part ways, and Connor offers to walk me home. We haven't been alone in a while. He grabs my hand as we walk towards the apartment, our fingers interlaced; our hands could not fit more perfectly.

"Do you want to come up?" I ask, and Connor instantly turns red. I chuckle. "I should be the one making that the face. Red ridding wood should not invite the bad wolf into her house."

We go up and as soon as we close the door behind us, without even turning on the lights first, I grab Connor by the collar of his shirt and bite his lower lip and he gasps.

"You can go home now."

"Is this you revenge?" He smirks.

"No... Not even close."

Connor grabs me and puts me against the wall. I guess he is as intense as he is shy as he is good looking... My red cape and Connor's ears fall on the floor right by the door, as we get closer to the room, we leave behind his t-shirt and my corset. Oh, fuck... I knew Connor was in shape, but right now, he just looks too good to be true.

We reach the room and fall onto the bed. Connor kisses my neck, and his hands slide up my tights. I feel his weight on my body... Suddenly, I remember Peter. Peter's weight on me. I remember how he touched me, all the things he did to me while we were together. I'm disgusted. Disgusted at him, at myself, for letting him do what he wanted just because we were together. I feel sick to my stomach. I'm not ready. I can't. My heart stops and I jolt underneath Connor and out of the bed. I stand still in the darkness, shaking and holding in the tears.

"I'm sorry... I can't." My voice trembles and I feel my eyes getting wet.

Connor immediately gets up, but keeps his distance. "Are you okay? Was it something I did?"

I shake my head. "No. It has nothing to do with you. I'm so sorry."

"Stop saying I'm sorry. You have nothing to be sorry for."

Connor stands still in front of me, clearly not knowing what to do. He doesn't want to leave, but he also doesn't know if it's okay to touch me or not. He places a hand on my shoulder; he wants to hug me but he's waiting for my permission. I take a step towards him, and he wraps his arms around me. I feel safe.

"Do you want me to go?"

"I don't know," I say with my voice muffled by his arms. "Not yet. I don't want to be alone."

We stay like this for a while, standing in the darkness, Connor's arms around me.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better. I'm—"

"Don't. It's fine." He places a kiss on my head.

I hate Peter so much for all the damage he left me with. Fucking bastard. How could I ever have been in love with someone like him?

"You can go. I'll be fine."

"Are you sure? I can keep you company."

"I'm fine. I need to think." Fear crosses Connor's face. "Don't worry. It hasn't anything to do with us." Did I just say us?

Connor slowly kisses my forehead before letting go of me.

"Call me if you need anything." I nod and place a soft kiss on his lips, hoping this is enough confirmation for him. Connor is not the problem. I am. I don't want him to walk away from me.

I get in the shower as soon as Connor closes the door behind him, and I start sobbing uncontrollably and my body begins to shake violently. Time and distance certainly change our perspective on things.

My relationship with Peter was toxic, vile even. He was always rough with me, and not in a good way... I guess that's why Connor's touch feels so different, warm, kind, and passionate, while Peter's was emotionless and frigid. How the fuck did I let myself go through all of that? How did I let myself get this damaged?

I always thought that this type of thing only happened to others, not me. I always thought that I was too smart and intelligent to put myself in this position. I thought I could see the red flags, and that I chose my dates with care, hence why I rarely went out with anyone. I thought I was careful. I thought that even if I ever found myself in an abusive relationship that I would recognize it and pave my way out if before anything too damaging happened. I was so fucking wrong...

I drag myself back to bed, with my hair soaking wet and keep sobbing and screaming into my pillow until tiredness takes over me.