Chapter 7

I'm not working today since it's Tuesday, and I feel lost. As weird as it seems the Magnolia has given me a sense of purpose and a routine, but as for what I do on my days off, I still haven't quite figured that out yet.

What hobbies did I used to have? What did I use to with my free time? I can't seem to remember the question to any of those answers.

Well, I might as well get up from the couch and at least walk around a bit to get some steps in. I ordered a pair of new sneakers and it's time I try them out.

I walk past the flower shop and see Ren inside. He raises his head from the flowers he's cutting and waves at me. I wave back and smile, wondering if I should go inside or not. Ren makes the decision for me. He walks to the door and opens it.

"Isabella, right?" I nod. "Come in. Can I call you Izzy? Or do you prefer Bella?"

A knot grows in my stomach. I can't stand Bella.

"Hi Ren. I don't like Bella. Izzy is fine. That's what my brother calls me, actually. It's Ren short for something? Like Renfield?"

"The crazy guy from Dracula?" He chuckles. "No. It's far less interesting than that and a lot cheesier. It's a Japanese name. It means water lily or lotus."

"That seems fitting." I chuckle.

"My father is of Japanese descent, and my mum is a florist called Lily. I guess they didn't have to think much about it. And you? Day off?" He asks and I nod. "How has been your stay in Greenshire until now? Is she being kind to you?"

"Very kind. I'm really enjoying being here. A lot more than I thought I would."

"Glad to hear it."

The shop is small, but someone clearly picked every single flower with the utmost care. Whoever is behind the design choices on the bouquets has amazing taste and eye for colour. And everything was also chosen, taking into account the flowers that are in season.

"No flower-stand today?"

"No. Not today. My mum and our other employee are meeting with some suppliers, and I'm the one left behind to take care of the store."

"Those chrysanthemums are beautiful."

"So, you do know a thing or two about flowers?" He smiles.

"Occupational hazard." I shrug.

Confused, he raises an eyebrow. "Working at a café called magnolia?"

I chuckle. "Well, that too. I suppose flowers are really part of my life. But no. I meant what I was doing prior to this. I'm an architect. Landscapes and gardens aren't my specialty, but I have dabbled with it. I also love to incorporate flowers into the design of a space."

"If you ever go back to that, please consider signing a contract with us." Ren sadly smiles.

"I don't know about that. Not signing with you, I would love to be able to do that. Going back to work, I mean."

"Regardless, thank you for the other day. Three bouquets won't stop us from going under, but you did help my mood."

"My pleasure."

"I won't take up any more of your time. Thank you for stopping by. I hope I'll see you around more often." He winks and waves goodbye.

"Bye." I walk towards the door, but I stop as soon as my hands reach the doorknob. "Actually, can we make a deal?"

"Have you suddenly decided to go back to work?"

"No. Not yet. But I do work at a place called Magnolia. I would like if you could deliver some flowers to me every week. What do you think?"

"Just tell me what, where, and when."