Chapter 3

2 DAYS LATER

It's been 2 days since I was kicked out of my house. On those 2 days, I've been healing a bit and started to walk slowly. People around me in the streets would look at me with disgust, pity, and empathy. Some would treat me like a plague, some would treat me like a poor girl, and some wouldn't care at all. A few caring people had given me food and drink, and I was thankful for them. I've been sleeping on the benches at night in the cold weather, but it was alright. I've gotten used to it.

Someone gave me new clothes yesterday. It wasn't the best since it was dirty and looked torn and scuffed, but it was good. It had no blood on it, and it made me bear the cold weather at night. Today, I decided to go to a shelter house. I don't know where I can find one, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

“Excuse me, where can I find a shelter home?”

I asked a woman who was passing by. Unfortunately, she ignored me and continued to walk away from me. As I previously stated, it's as if I'm a plague. One thing I learned those 2 days is that being weak won't help, and I have to be strong and independent, so I can live.

“Excuse me, do you know where I can find a shelter home? I need a place to stay. “

I asked an old man who was passing by, and surprisingly, he answered.

“I don't know where a shelter is, but there is an orphanage not far from here. You walk straight ahead and then, after 2 blocks, you turn left and then, after a block, you'll find it. “

“Thank you so much, sir.”

He smiled at me and continued on his way. I started to walk in the direction he told me to. After walking for a while, my legs ached. I spotted a bench and sat on it. I rested on it, and without noticing, I fell into a deep slumber.

“Miss, Are you alright?”

I felt someone shaking me to wake up. I opened my eyes and saw a young man in front of me. He looked 25 or 26 years old. I shifted my position so that I could sit instead of sleep. I realized that I slept on the bench on my way to the orphanage. I looked around me and saw that it was nighttime.

“Miss, why were you sleeping there?”

That actually surprised me; no one actually questioned me about anything. They would either ignore me or be kind and give me something to survive on. But I learned that I don't want people's empathy or sympathy, so I told myself I would reply with rudeness.

“None of your business”

As I said this, I stood up and began my walk to the orphanage, trying to remember what the man said. But the young man kept walking after me, which made me mad.

“You're hurt.”

“No, I am not.”

“Then why are you limping?”

“none of your concern”

“ I am a doctor. Can I at least check your leg to make sure you're OK?”

"No"

“Fine, but can I at least drive you home?”

"No"

Subsequently, he stopped walking after me and turned away to continue his way. I, on the other hand, felt sorry for him because he tried to help me and I didn't let him. I had the right for him to not help me. No one has helped me in a long time, so why should I let him?

Anyway, I continued my way to the orphanage until I found it. I walked to the door and a lady opened it.

“Can I help you?” she said.

“Um… I'm looking for a shelter and an old man told me about this orphanage, and I have nowhere to go, so, can you please let me stay here?”

The lady closed the door and then there was a sound from inside, and then she opened the door again with a smile that looked fake.

“You can come in and stay until you're 18, unless you already are, then I'll have no choice but to leave you outside.”

“I'm 16 years old, ma'am. I will do anything, so I can have food, drink, and bed. “

“Well then, you may stay, but you'll be joining our cleaning schedule. You'll have chores to do, and you'll help with other things. Is that good? “

“Yes, ma'am. Anything. Thank you so much for letting me stay. “

She let me in and I looked around. It didn't look bad, but it didn't look good. It reminded me of my old house. For once, I didn't feel safe, and I wished that I could have gone with the young doctor. But I can't trust anyone but myself right now. Until I can trust someone, I'll only trust myself and my choices.

After the woman, who I know now is called Miss Dursilla rsula, let me stay in the orphanage, we made a deal that I would clean the house, wash the dishes, and help the maids with anything and, in exchange, she would let me sleep on the bed with a blanket, so I wouldn't get cold and give me food and drink, so I wouldn't starve. It was like working but with no money given.

The next morning, when I woke up, Miss Dursilla told us to gather down in the living room because she had an announcement to make. I quickly went and took a shower, got dressed, and went downstairs. I heard some voices coming from the living room, so I went there.

“We just have a new girl who came to us yesterday. We don't know anything about her or her family history or anything. She was limping, though, so you can check her out and treat her if there is anything wrong with her. “

I heard from Miss Dursilla as I was walking inside. My head was kept down since I didn't know who was there. It was something Miss Dursilla told me yesterday.

“ Ah, new girl, I'm sorry I didn't catch your name. What's your name, sweetie?”

“My name is Eva Brown, Miss,” I say, “Can I raise my head?”

“You may”

I lifted my head from the ground and saw two male doctors with a stethoscope around their neck. One looked familiar, but the other didn't.

“Um… Miss? Is that you?”