Part 6 Close Encounters

Two days have passed. Avelyne decided to let me go the next day after a not too comfortable night's sleep. Good thing I wasn't exactly needed at the station that day, or else I'd have been working with my eyes half open.

Yet, now that I'm back at work, handling paperwork as usual, all the while reviewing the leads I have regarding the murder case, Avelyne hasn't called at least once. She did say she'd contact me if I was needed, to which she constantly reminded that I was in fact needed, I'm beginning to wonder if she either moved on or is busy at the moment.

Piling the finished paperwork on top of my desk, I ponder over what I should do next. Far as I know, investigating on the case alone would be dangerous, as what my partner said. I'm having second thoughts over whether or not if she's actually my partner or not.

Deciding that nothing is to be done inside my office, I grab my coat and leave. Closing the door behind me, Vera, the autopsy surgeon holding a folder calls to me.

"Felix!" she calls out as she jogs towards me, stopping a few meters in front of me " I actually needed to see you" she says

"Need anything?" I ask

"Well, not really" she replies "In fact, I actually needed to give you something" she hands out the folder to which I open and read the contents

"What's this?" I ask, skimming through the contents, figuring it has to be something related to the murder victim

"So I actually took a look at her blood a few days ago..." she says "And I overlooked some of the details regarding them..."

Reading a part of the page, I can't help but mention the fact that the report mentions snake venom

"Wait, snake venom? Are you implying a snake bit her?" I question

"Well that's for you to find out" she exclaims "But yeah, probably. Her blood has clotted in some veins in her arm. We couldn't really find any bite marks in any of the un-mangled parts of the skin..."

I nod at her, thankful for the report "Thanks Vera. I'll take this into account in my search" I reply

She smiles and nods.

I turn to leave, and at the edge of my eye, I could somewhat make out her trying to say something, but retorts back. I pay no mind to it and move on.

Exiting the Station, I walk over to my Pick-up Truck. So far, it's been undamaged when I was held hostage a few days ago, much to my relief. Although, opening the door, I couldn't help but notice the slight discoloration on my driver's seat. Some of the blood from my wound somehow stained the seat, though anyone not looking hard enough wouldn't notice.

None of the station workers know about my encounter with the anomaly, as what Avelyne called them. She didn't go into detail about them. I doubt she really had any reason to tell me, so she remained quiet, though I did ask, she persisted.

I often slide my finger on the bandage on my shoulder, getting a feel out of it. It's my first time being shot, so it felt odd. I've seen men get shot, yet this is the first one I've suffered with. 

I sigh, and proceeded to drive my vehicle to Leo's bakery to grab some food for myself. It was lunch time, so I was rather hungry.

Parking my truck on a parking area, I proceed to buy my usual orders. Some hot tea for the cold weather and a beef sandwich.

Sitting down on one of the vacant seats, I eat my meal, only to have someone sit on the other side of the table with me.

"Eh? Agent Bristol?" I say, surprised to see my blonde colleague, Avelyne in front of me "Was actually waiting for you to call me. Can't say I'm not surprised having you show up in the middle of my meal" I jest