I.

it was a rainy saturday morning and i planned on sleeping in. well, that was until my phone started ringing.

"yes? it's 6am? what's going on?" i said, still keeping my eyes closed in hopes of dozing off again after the phone call ends.

it was nessa, my boss. usually, she was a lovely person but right now, i wasn't having any of it.

she was basically screaming at me to come in as fast as humanly possible because she needed one more person on this new case she was working on. and apparently, that couldn't wait a second longer.

"i'll be there in 20"

i lazily got up and started getting ready for work. at this point in time, i really regretted ever getting a degree in criminology and a job in the same field.

"where are you going?" my boyfriend jonah asked drowsily.
i turned to glance at him. he was still peacefully laying in bed, not a worry in the world.

it was silly, but a wave of jealousy washed over me. i quickly shook my head and answered "don't worry about it, something work related came up. i'll be home as soon as possible." i said while kissing him on the head and grabbing my keys and wallet.

"take care." he said and almost immediately went back to sleep.

as i was putting on my shoes, i petted our two cats goodbye and locked the front door behind me.

i haphazardly left my apartment building and flagged down the first cab i saw.

"i wonder what's so urgent..." i thought to myself.