Why though?

"Hi Karan. You are all over. So, I believe you are doing well."

It was a message when he least expected it. That too, from a person whom he didn't need in his life right now- Nushi, his ex.

Ironically, Karan and Teju's first project together was a break up song. He felt like it was an ode to his ex. Teju didn't know that. In fact, only Jessica, his best friend knew. He kept it mostly to himself. But Jessica has known him for so long, he couldn't fake it in front of her.

"Tere ishq se kitne sacche hai
Mere yaar kitne acche hai"

The lyrics of that song never escaped his mind while they were shooting. It indeed was an ode to his selfish ex.

"Move on, Karni." That's what Jessi told when she got to know.

Yes, He was over his ex, not to be mistaken, but he wasn't over the pain and hurt that she put him through. The break up was bad, she got salty and vengeful and by the end of their relationship, he was alcoholic and in a zone from where he thought there's no comeback. They didn't have a proper closure. It was important for him before he took that next step in his life with Teju to close that previous chapter the way it deserved. This goa visit had to be it.

Goa has always been special for him. It was where he laughed, lived, his heart was full but with another person. And when he set foot in the same villa at the same place again, all those memories came rushing-the good, bad and most importantly, the worst.

He used to sit there, gazing the midnight sky; sometimes clear, sometimes not. Nushi used to be in his lap. They used to get all cozy, kissing and hugging each other like they have never loved anyone else before. Today, It felt weird to sit there alone. It felt even weirder to realize that another woman is with him.

"Teri yaad sambhali maine
Achi aadatein kharaab ki
Paani nahi piya itna
Jitni maine sharaab pee"

He started humming the song...

It wasn't long when Teju spotted Karan alone at night, staring into the sea. She always make sure not to stay apart from him for too long. She just couldn't. So, she came, hugged him tightly from the back and asked in her baby voice,

"Kya hua mere sunny ko?"

What was he supposed to say? That he was taking a walk through hurtful memories of his ex? She wouldn't understand and hence, he didn't say.

"Sunnyyyyy..Overthinking allowed nahi hai"

Of course. She was always going to say the right thing. She was always going to pull him back. He smiled with teary eyes. His smile then turned into a laughter and Karan made her hug him even more tightly.

"Tujhe idea bhi nahi hai ki tu mujhe Kitna affect karti hai, lallu !! "

"We are gonna make a lot of memories. Hai na laddoo? "

He turned her, squished her cheeks and hid his face behind her shoulder.

Teju agreed, And they stood there, facing a roaring night sea, hugging for almost 10 minutes in silence.

No one ever asked him how does it feel to replace memories. It did feel weird.
It's bitter sweet replacing memories, But life goes on. You find love, You find people who join in your madness, And you find people who are just right.

Not perfect, just right.

And when you look into their eyes, You are content and you see a happy future.
Not past, not memories.

Memories are good. They remind you how far you came. But this is how life works. And he now knew for a fact that what lies ahead is only going to get beautiful.

His journal note that night read something like this :

"Nasha toh tha hi ek Haath mein

Par dusre haath mein tha Nasha pyaar ka bhi

Kuch nahi badla bas saath hi badla

Par Aaj Kal pyaar ka Nasha kaafi hota hai."

He slept peacefully that night. He hadn't thought about Nushi after that night till the moment when her message dropped in his inbox.

He started typing but his reply started with a smile..