3 | Need for Necessities

As they headed for Espresso's house Espresso remembered his grocery list. He had written it a day before and needed to get all of the ingredients in order to continue the experiment. Just about the same time Espresso  was going to open his mouth, Madeleine did it first. "Oh Espresso, don't you have shopping to do?" Shopping? Not necessarily. "Hm. I do. Why?" Espresso replies. "Oh, then we must head off now!" Madeleine exclaims somewhat excitedly. He seems too excited to go grocery shopping. As Espresso was about to turn on his heel Madeleine stopped him. "Wait! We need to create a list. Do you perhaps have one?" Madeleine questioned. "I do. But it's meant for my experiments." Espresso scoffs. "Let's just get a notepad!" Madeleine says. Espresso laughs saying, "It's quite alright. I'll remember what we need to purchase." Madeleine shrugs. "Whatever suits you, Espresso!" With a huge smile on his face. Espresso cracks a smile but almost immediately goes back to walking towards the market. Once they reached the market Espresso ran straight to the coffee section. Despite being able to make coffee with his magic, he still needs beans. Madeleine grabbed a cart a pushed it happily towards Espresso and watched as Espresso put the bags into the cart. They wrapped around the whole store gathering laundry detergent, food, sugar, and coffee. As soon as they got in line they notice someone quite familiar. It makes sense why they're familiar, they live in quite a small kingdom. They notice the short cookie grab a few mushrooms and stroll away. Espresso and Madeleine exchanged confused looks but quickly returned to placing the items on the conveyer belt. After paying for the items they both brought bags and began walking towards Espressos house. "Hey Madeleine?" Espresso asks. "Yes?" Madeleine quickly responds. "I-I would like to thank you for helping me today. You perhaps aren't as useless as I initially thought you were..." Espresso glares at the floor nervously. Madeleine stops walking and smiles stupidly. "Of course my dear friend! You can always count on me. As the divine hold such great po-" "Okay! Okay, I get it." Espresso rudely interrupting, leaving Madeleine frowning. Espresso and Madeleine set the bags down on the counter and begin putting them in their correct placement and making sure everywhere is clean. At that point it's about 6 PM. "Madeleine? You should start heading home." Espresso says. "Are you sure? You can do the rest?" Madeleine asks worryingly. "Yes, yes I can. I'm not two. Now goodbye." Espresso shoos Madeleine to the door. "Wait! Can I ask a question?" Madeleine hurriedly asks. "Hm, yes. Make it quick. I have too much to catch up on!" "Are you free on Saturday?" Madeleine asks. Espresso glances at a calendar and shows a faint smile. At least enough for Madeleine to notice. "Ah yes I am. Why do you ask?" "Did you just smile at that?" "No! Why would I?" "You're getting quite defensive. Especially for someone you REALLY HATE." "I already admitted that I don't hate you!" "So we're friends?" "A-Ah. No. No we're not that either." "So what are we?" "I-I don't know. Oh would you look at the time! Got to get to work. See you on Saturday." Espresso slamming the door on Madeleine face. Espresso lets out a sigh of relief as he head straight to his laboratory.