Chapter 7

This year our office has decided to throw a New Year Eve's party instead of a Christmas one, which means that instead of seeing people getting drunk while wearing ugly Christmas jumpers, I'll do it while they wear fancy clothes.

"You look stunning" Taylor says while we finish getting ready. "You should totally send Rúben a photo, show him what he is missing."

"I'm not sending him a photo."

"I am, then" she says, taking out her phone. "Pose for me."

"No."

"You pose for him but not for me? I know I don't have his abs. Or his arms. Or his butt. But I am your friend. And your boss."

"I don't pose for him either. I already told you those photos were candids."

"Yeah, yeah, taken by a sneaky cat like your Instagram caption said. Has anyone asked who it is?"

"Nope." Only Rúben and I understand the true meaning of the cat. And I hope it stays like that for a long time.

"Ha! Gotcha! Gorgeous" Taylor says, showing me the photo she just took. It actually is a good one.

"Should I send it to him? Or do you want to do the honors?"

"I'll do it. Who knows what message you would add."

"The usual. Something like, look how hot your girl looks. She said she wishes you were here to be her new year's kiss and then help her take off her dress."

"And that's the usual?"

Taylor just shrugs, and as an answer, I roll my eyes.

"Let's go. We don't want to be late."

"But send him the photo."

"I will. I'll do it in the car. C'mon."

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

The party is at our building, in one of the conference rooms. There is a bar, a dj, tables and chairs where you can sit to chat or rest, and someone is handing Happy New Year crowns, confetti and party blowers for the big moment.

"Ladies! Finally!" says Charlie, Taylor's boyfriend (though she doesn't like calling him that), when we arrive.

"Hello there" she says, giving him a kiss. "You clean up well."

"Thank you" he says, doing a twirl in front of us. "Do you want a drink? They finally heard you and this year they have options for those of you who don't drink."

"It was about damn time" I say. "We also exist."

After meeting with some other friends and chatting for a bit, Charlie and Taylor choose to move to the dancefloor, leaving me alone. I move to sit at one of the tables, and just a few seconds later, someone else sits next to me.