Chapter 6

"Yeah so I did absolutely nothing this weekend because I was 'grounded'," Matt makes quotation marks over the word grounded.

 It was Monday and the first week of school had come and gone all too fast. And now Matt was explaining to me how his mom grounded him because he came home drunk Friday night. 

"Well maybe you shouldn't come home drunk then." I laugh. 

"I wasn't even that drunk. She just smelled it on my breath." He rolled his eyes. 

"Well you're not grounded anymore, right?"

"Nope." He shook his head proudly. 

"So that bonfire thing on Friday, are you going?" I ask. 

"Of course! I'm not going to pass up an opportunity to drink again and hang out with friends." He says. 

"And get grounded again?"

"Pretty much." He shrugs and adverts his gaze.

I laugh and begin rambling as I rummage through my bag in search of where I last put my lip gloss. But when I asked Matt if he wanted to do something this weekend with me, it took me a minute to realize he wasn't looking up at me or paying me any attention. 

"Matt?" I call but get no response.

 I look up at him and notice his eyes were looking past me. I turned around to figure out what he was looking at, and the only people down the hall was...well it was Mandy and her alleged old best friends. 

Ever since she came to tryouts to "accompany" me, I steered clear of that girl. I never confronted her because I'm highly suspicious of that girl and I'm waiting for more signs to really assure me. I know the game all too well to be getting played by yet another person. 

But then again, maybe she just wants to prove to me that she wasn't going to start any problems. 

Nahhhhh.

Not believing that. 

I turn back to Matt when I notice Mandy and her group starting to walk toward us. Matt's eyes were glued to Mandy, holding an expression I couldn't make out. It almost seemed as if he was gazing at her in a longing way. 

Eww! Why was he staring at her like that?

"Matt?" I wave my hand in front of his face. 

He snaps out of whatever trance he was in to look at me. I laugh and his cheeks become pink. 

"What are ya staring at?" I laugh. 

He opens his mouth to speak, but gets cut off. 

"Hey Asia!" Mandy smiles happily at me. "Good morning."

"Hi Mandy." I wave at her with a fake, closed mouth smile. 

"I hope you had a nice weekend." 

"Thank you." I don't return the exchange. I don't even know why she's even talking to me. I've been being curt with her all week and she still hasn't picked up on it. And if she did, well she's doing a great job at hiding it. 

"Did we have economics homework this weekend?" She asks. 

"Um, yeah. I think it was chapter 1 questions in our textbooks."

"Omg, I totally forgot! I'll see if I can do it during my study hall and drop it off later."

"Yeah, Mr. Horner is pretty lenient." I say. 

"Yes, thank god." She laughs. "But thank you for telling me."

"You're welcome."

"Hello!" Mandy waves at Matt with a friendly smile on her face.