Chapter 14

"You're coming out with us tonight, aren't you?" Cheyenne asks me after school. "Please tell me you're coming."

"I can't, Cheyenne. I told you this already." I tell her, shifting uncomfortably.

She and Cora have been pestering me about that stupid Halloween party that I wanted nothing to do with. I didn't want to go because Hunter was going, and they even confirmed it for me. I don't want to be around someone who won't even give me the time of day. Too awkward for me.

Plus, I have to work so I can't go (I didn't actually have to work, but I asked to so that I could keep myself busy). I had my first day of work yesterday, but it wasn't really a work day. I just had more of an orientation, where Cedric and Peter showed me around and what I'll be doing. Mostly, it was just stocking and cashier work, which was fine with me. Mainly old people came in there and the store wasn't very busy so I knew I would be okay.

"Can't you take the day off?" Cora asks.

I shake my head. "Today's my first day, I can't bail last minute."

"But it's Halloween!"

"Yeah, I realized that," I laugh. "Guys, it's okay. It's just Halloween."

"You're just saying that because you don't want to see Hunter," Cheyenne accuses. "We don't even have to be around him, Asia! Do you even really have to work today?"

"Yes, I really do have to work tonight. I'm sorry, but I am not canceling." I tell them with a serious tone in my voice.

"Ugh, fine." Cheyenne rolls her eyes. "But you owe us."

I laugh at her words. "Okay."

"Do you have detention today?" Cora asks.

"Unfortunately," I deeply sigh.

"So what time do you have to work tonight?"

"I work from 5 to 10."

"That's not bad," Cheyenne shrugs. "How are you getting there?"

"My mom is going to take me."

"You seriously need a car." Cora tells me.

"Tuh! Who are you telling," I roll my eyes as we reach the classroom for detention.

"Have fun in hell." Cheyenne smiles.

"I won't," I mutter. "Have fun at the party."

"We'll try. It won't be the same without you." She says.

"That makes me feel better." I smirk.

"You shouldn't. We're still mad you're not coming with us."

"Yeah well tell Hunter to fix his attitude and maybe I would have been going tonight." I say. "Call me tomorrow."

And with that, I walk into detention and sit down in the same chair I've been sitting in all week and put my head down.

<>.<>.<>

"Well hello there! Ready for you first day of work?" Cedric is smiling as soon as I enter the store.

I smile softly. "As ready as can be."

"Good. Because more help is always needed around here."

"Well I'm here to help," I say.

"Cool. I'll show you where you can put your stuff while you're working."

Cedric leads me to the back of the store where all of the employee belongings were held. There was a small locker for our belongings and he assigned one on the upper right corner for me. The locker was big enough for my coat and purse to fit in it and in exchange I was given a plain royal blue vest with my name tag on it that I am supposed to wear whenever I'm working.