Chapter 10

"We ran some tests, and it was definitely cumin that she reacted to," The doctor tells my parents. "And when we ran the test to see if she is allergic to anything else they all came up negative so my only conclusion would be that there was cumin in whatever she ate."

"Okay. Thank you, doctor." My mother says, squeezing my hand. 

They have me on an IV with Benadryl and some other medication I forgot the name, leaving me exceptionally drowsy. I'm pretty sure if someone asked me what year it was, I would tell them it was 1955.

 I wasn't completely out of it, I was somewhat coherent. But this medicine is leaving me feeling light and groggy and unable to control my body. I was just really tired and I couldn't do much. I was just happy all of that allergic reaction mess was over.  

"She is able to go home, but I think she may want to just get some rest and take it easy for the rest of the day." The doctor says, glancing over at me. 

"Okay." My mother nods. 

"I'm really glad your school nurse had an extra EpiPen, Asia." The doctor tells me. "Do you have one at home?"

"We have one at home, but it's probably expired because this rarely ever happens," My father answers for me. "But we do keep Benadryl at home for her."

"Well, it seems like she doesn't really need the pen considering how infrequent this happens, but it's always good to have one." The doctor lets us know. "Just get some rest and if there are any more problems, feel free to come back."

"Okay. Thank you, doctor." My mother smiles at him. 

"No problem." He smiles at me before exiting my room and closing the door. 

I lean my head back and close my eyes. 

"Are you tired?" My mother asks. 

I nod my head. I didn't feel like talking and I wasn't even sure if it would come out right. 

"Okay, well let's go home so that you can get some rest." She rubs my arm soothingly. 

I fall asleep in the car and when I'm woken up to go in the house, my father helps me to my bed before I fall fast asleep. 

<>.<>.<>

I awoke to the sound of my door opening and rubbed my eyes so that my vision wasn't so blurry. I saw my Mom standing at the door, watching me

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," She says. "I just wanted to check on you."

"No, it's fine," I rub my eyes some more. "I'm up now."

"How are you feeling?" She moves towards the bed.

"A little weird," I laugh.

"That's just the medication they gave you, wearing off." She assures me.

I nod in agreement. I look down at my arms and frown. There were hives everywhere.

"Don't scratch them, remember?" Mom grabs my hand that was ready to itch. "You don't want them to hurt and scar."

"Oh yeah," I say and place my hands on the bed.

"What did you eat that had cumin in it?" She asks.

"I had an apple spice cupcake."

"Apple spice doesn't have cumin in it."

"I didn't eat breakfast this morning, I had pizza for lunch, and when I ate the cupcake it happened. It had to be the cupcake."