TWO / "We Should Settle Then..."

LAWMAKER// RENEE
~3rd person~

"IT'S a school night, so make it quick," Celia said, pushing past Renee and inviting herself into the home.

"Please, come on in," Renee exclaimed sarcastically.

Celia turned to face her momentarily. "Lucky for you I don't need an invitation. I own this house."

Renee crossed her arms and tilted her head as she stared at her landlord.

"Just like the one across the street where they moved in."

The way Celia said the word 'they' caused Renee to feel more confused than upset. She had basically growled the word when referring to the new tenants. "They' who?"

"That new family. Odd, not unlike yours. But at least I can tolerate you people. I'm sure you know why."

Renee's eyebrow raised higher. "I do," she said dismissively of the topic. She was willing to bet her superpowers that it had something to do with race.

"'Cause you're quiet, keep to yourself, and always pay on time. Them, well, I don't know how they get down just yet."

Who said anything about superpowers?

"Well, did you just get back from work?" Celia asked.

Renee looked down at her police uniform and sighed. "Feels like it since I haven't had any time to myself. The kids just went to sleep, but I've been home for two hours."

"Mm. I'm glad I chose to work from home when I did. Hell it don't matter what house I'm in on this street, I'm still getting paid!" the older woman exclaimed heartily.

There was something about her ferocious energy. Renee was glad that even if North was here, her suit was not.

"Right. It's definitely tiresome work."

"Hold on. Now I know those two kids can't be older than seventeen. And I don't think they're in school."

Renee's eyes widened. "No! No. The paperwork is being filed now. Josie just turned 16, and Jaxon is 17."

"Well, they're just some... lovely— er, interesting kids."

"I get that a lot," Renee voiced. She turned to grab something. "Alright, the updated payment information. And thanks for stopping by, but it's late. It's just me, my babies, and North who'll be sticking around for some time. It's hard being the only one here providing for my kids."

Renee attempted to put the papers in Celia's hands, but she wasn't taking them.

Celia frowned. "Wait, single parent? You're telling me the 'family friend' wasn't your wife? I thought she looked a little young." Her frown only grew. "Well then you can't live here. I need two people on the lease giving me two incomes."

Renee's smile was tight as her grip on the papers tightened. "Single parent? No! My husband has been out all month. He's back today. But don't worry about these little vacations he takes. The paychecks sure make up for the time we don't spend together!"

Renee worked harder and harder in her attempt to keep Celia's interest. Sadly, the woman was already at the staircase, hand on the railing and looking very ready to ascend them. "Well, where is he then?" the older woman asked. "I need to see him now, or you people need to get going."

The super villain's eyes widened as she rushed over to Celia at the staircase. "You know, Celia, it's a little late. Let's let the kids get some sleep."

"Ok, then, keep your papers. I'm coming back with an eviction notice!" the older red-haired woman said. She threw her hands in the air before waddling over to the front door.