T. THREE / "Saturday"

CYBER // JOSIE

"SO WHY'S HARTLEY on Jake's side?" I asked. I guess for the last couple days Amy and Hartley haven't been talking. Apparently Jake's seeing some girl and there's some confusion about why he only told Hartley and not Amy and blah blah blah. I don't really care. But Amy does so I'll make do.

Personally, I'd easily trust Amy far more than Hartley with a big secret. She seems like a blabbermouth. Obviously I wouldn't know because the only secret I'm keeping is one nobody can know. If even Amy doesn't know, there's no way I'm telling Hartley-hot-for-heroes.

"I..." she starts, shiny brown eyes glancing into mine. A smirk plays on my face as I grab her hand, staring up from her lap. "...Wish I could tell you. But unlike Jake I'm not a traitor when it comes to family."

My eyes drift away, trying to keep my guilt from showing. "And Hartley when it comes to friends."

She scoffs. "Yeah. If you can't manipulate good people then what's the point?"

"Nothing," I quickly replied with a shrug. "Okay, I'm not gonna act like I'm not happy it's just us, but I can tell it's bothering you. So who's the girl?"

"Her name's Judith," Amy says and gags. "And surprise, she isn't a white-haired lady sitting in a wheelchair."

"You know, that's exactly the image that popped into my head," I admitted with a slight nod.

Amy smiled down at me before looking to her right. She leaned over, causing my head to bump a little, before finding the speaker on her nightstand. She turned it on, and the last song began playing about halfway through.

It was nice, and comfortable, and kind of brand new. I just wanted to lay here curled up next to her with my hair splayed across her pajama shorts. I could do this all day long. But stupid Jaxon has to always go and ruin things. I hesitated before speaking. "Hey, I've gotta go soon. Don't let me get too comfortable."

"Oh, should I put on country music instead?"

"How can you say that? You live in Texas."

"You know we got here after you, right?"

"Didn't Jake ride a bull... and doesn't he work at a restaurant called 'The Round Up'?"

"Why are you asking all these questions you know the answers to? And doesn't your brother also work there?"

I don't know how he got the job again. I wouldn't put it past Jaxon to break some of the appliances back there and then charm his way back into the position. "Touché, Ames."

She smiles a little, and just then my phone pings beneath hers on the bedside table. "Thanks," I mumble when she hands it to me, only to see a new text from North.

on my way over. let's see what jax's up to.

My eyes widen and I quickly sit up and block my phone with my shoulders.

Reading North's text, I didn't catch the silence at first. Carefully, I turn around only to see the angrily confused look on her face.

"What?" she says more than asks. "It's your phone."

So then what's the grimace for? My head cocks to the side as I scoot back up to her. "It's North," I tell her obligatorily. She waits before rolling her eyes. "I gotta go. But that—" I lean forward and press my lips softly on hers. "—Was really cute."

Hopefully my face doesn't show how flustered I am. It's bad enough I have to feel the butterflies in my stomach every time I'm within centimeters of her face.