FOURTEEN / "Missing Piece"

JUSTICE // JAXON

"IT'S too hot for ice cream," North complained evenly.

We were walking through one of those terribly vibrant Texas parks. There were ice cream trucks and a food vendor. I would scarf down a hotdog, but my hockey team would make fun of me for it. Not that I'd care.

"That's the point of ice cream," I told her.

"I'm hungry, let's just gooo," Jepito whined.

I rolled my eyes and reached up to ruffle his short hair. It doesn't have the same effect as when he's thirteen, sadly.

"No, what I mean is it'd just melt. And trust me, you don't want to deal with a sticky chin and fingers," the girl went on.

I stared ahead. It was super bright out, but thankfully my white visor blocked the sunlight. "So I'm supposed to suffer and pretend that sinks don't exist," I stated.

It was pretty cool being around North, though. I had to admit. Maybe she really only tolerated Josie, and I was the end goal all along. I can live with that.

"Fine. Go get your chilly milk. I'm taking a seat."

We stopped at a bench without another word so North could be lazy and sit down. Alright, she isn't being that lazy. We've been outside for two hours now on our walk. She needed to disperse her energy somewhere, so what better way than ensuring the cycle of energy? Not created or destroyed, all that shit about conversion.

Seemed like it helped yesterday and the other day. Now there weren't many streaks at all. She was looking way better and way healthier. Obviously I only care since she's part of the group, and once Renee has grown out of the position, North'll be working for me.

I sighed and looked down at North while she chilled on the bench. He arms were crossed and she sat with her legs crossed. "Alright, Sandy, you can grab the ice cream. I'm gonna stay here."

Jepito looked from North to me. His mouth closed to the side, and he pointed finger guns before walking away.

I huffed out a breath before plopping onto the bench behind North. Glancing at her, I could see how she looked ahead with a wrinkle in her eyebrows.

"Why didn't you go with him?" she asked out of the blue.

"Because there's no shade over there," I answered matter-of-factly. At least here we were under a big tree.

We fell into a silence which was fine with me. I pulled out my phone to check if there were any new messages. I mean, I had two hundred unread iMessages, but that's not what I meant at all.

I slightly turned my phone away from North so she couldn't see the screen, though she didn't look to be focused on it anyway. I think she might be staring into the sun actually.

I haven't gotten a message from him in three weeks. Not since I changed the send code to bring the messages to my phone instead of the communication device Renee holds onto.

The phone almost jumps out of my hand when it starts to suddenly vibrate. A bright gray light shone onto my face, causing me to look away momentarily and then at North. She looked skeptical to say the least.

"It's a feature from the update. Happens when messages come in," I said quickly, hoping that she'd believe me.

In reality, North never lifted her head from the back of the park bench. She only continued to sit up and regarded me with a slight, disinterested nod, and went back to closing her eyes.

It's a good thing she wasn't listening because that little "message" on my phone was from the big man himself; Onyx.

Renee, get the Juniors ready.
Your new mission is confirmed.
Surge and Havoc are in Valley View.