Nine

"You ready to tell me what actually happened?"

I stare at Chris as he lords over the end of my bed. Lights shine down on me from the ceiling, highlighting where my skin has closed. Blood lingers on my arms and clothing, turning them into a haunting shade of violence.

"I told you, I fell."

"Yeah, I know what you told me, but it's not the truth."

"It is the truth." And it was... sorta. I did fall.

"And what if I were to say I came in a few minutes before you knew I was there?"

"Then I'd say you're lying."

Mutinously, his eyes narrow. "How are we supposed to work together if you won't stop lying to me?"

"I thought you said we don't need to be close? I simply need to trust you'll keep me safe and go on about our lives."

He doesn't like me using his words back on him. Redness colors his ears and his nostrils flare, but he doesn't respond. The dark look on his face reaches the depths of his bright eyes, and I fail to keep our gazes locked.

"This is different and you know it."

"The only thing I know is I'm ready to get out of this bed."

Mercifully, the nanites fixed me up, but the ache in the pit of my soul gapes wide. I've lost count of how many times she's hurt me. She doesn't mean it though, right?

She loves me. I love her. We're meant to be.

Even if she sometimes says things I don't like. People have different opinions and end up happy together. It's just a case of opposites attracting...

"Whenever you're ready to talk, I'm here."

"Well," I laugh, shifting to the side of the bed, "you'll be waiting forever, Gatlin."

"The offer still stands."

"Yeah, sure."

"Where are you going?"

I glance back at him but keep walking. "To the lab."

I need to work and divert his attention. Later, when I'm alone, I'll break into a million pieces, but I can't right now. To show emotion is to show weakness, and my father, my real one, would turn in his grave for what I'm allowing to happen.

But how do I escape when the perpetrator is right in front of me?

"Ryker sai—"

"I know what Ryker said, but I need to get some work done and I think you're tired of staring at the gym." His silence makes me turn and walk backward. "Unless you'd like to continue to stare at nothing but desert for miles?"

His expression melts and he looks away before apprehensively admitting, "I'm not allowed to go to the lab."

"You're allowed to go wherever I say you're allowed to go."

"Doubtful."

I raise my head. "Iris."

"Yes, Blue?" She answers immediately.

"Allow provisional access to hot zones one, four and six, for Personal Guard Gatlin in The Attic."

His eyebrow raises again at the nickname.

Coined about two years ago, The Attic specifically refers to the compound we're standing inside of. Similar to the Hold, only a small amount of this place is visible above ground.

It's triangular and boasts 360 views of the hot desert. Thick, mirrored glass blocks out the sun, and keeps prying eyes out. On the inside, there's a single bedroom and bathroom with a combined living and kitchen space.